BCD as Checked baggage or carry on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhxDiver

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to diving. I recently purchased a bcd and plan to go diving in Maui soon. My instructer told us that you should not check your bcd at the airport. She said that the baggage area is not pressurized and that it could damage your bcd. She said to carry on your bcd. Is this correct, and if so, is there anything you can do to make your bcd ok as a checked item?

thanks,
john

I check mine and have not had a problem. I bought a suitcase from Armor that is made for scuba gear. I pack most of my stuff and check it. I think the only things I carry on are my regulator and computer.

TOM

There is nothing that's going to happen in checked luggage except damage from luggage gorillas or theft from an unlocked bag.

the baggage area is pressured, and even you can travel in there..you can give all your gear including the computer to baggage. (ignoring the theft or damage )

I don't know any divers that carry on their BCs. We carry on masks, regs, and computers. The rest of the gear is in checked dive gear bags.

Actually I carry on my bcd (bp&w) all the time.

No damage other than "human" should occur if you check it.

It would depend on the type you have and its ability to compress into a small carry on bag. My vest style would never do that but my bp and wing does. I like the idea it is in the over head compartment considering how often my luggage goes someplace different than I do.

I carry on my Knighthawk all the time, along with computer, regs and mask in a small Akona roller bag.

Welcome to the board.
Not sure what your instructor had in mind but there is nothing on a BC that loss of pressurization would hurt. I would suggest you not tell the airline counter personal you have "dive gear" in your luggage, they may want to charge you a special charge for it. What you have in your bags are none of their concern and TSA who will be inspecting them could care less as long as it's not illegial to carry. My BC always travels in checked luggage due to size but I carry on my regs, computer and cameras for theft and rough handling reasons.

I wear mine on the plane with mask fins etc. As if a plane does go down and floats nicely on the surface as it always shows in that lovely safety leaflet I can get an extra dive in. I also don't then have excess baggage.
Why do they provide a lifejacket on a plane and not a parachute

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom