Camera Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fasorud

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I am in the market for a digital camera and strobe. I am looking for something around $600. So far the only camera I have been looking at is the Sealife DC500 with the digital strobe which is in my price range.

Does anyone here use/ has used it and do you think it's worth it?
Also, it looks like the Canon A640 is a commonly used camera.

Any other recommendations on this price range? I am basically looking for something that could be expandable in the future, basically in terms of additional lenses.

Thanks!

I've been kinda keeping my eye on this topic and price range as well. However most of what people talk about are much more than this. It will be interesting to see what people recommend.

FYI - I have an canon A70 with the underwater housing. I've taken it on one dive vacation and it worked great, I was really happy with the pics that it took with no strobe. (of course it was mainly macro shots or close-up shots)

My setup cost about $600, see below. I would definitely recommend the A640. Only problem with the Canon housing is that it doesn't take add-on lenses. I don't care about the extra lenses so I chose the smaller housing.

I've been thinking about the same thing for a couple of months now and in the end I've decided to get the Canon A710is and the canon housing. Should come in right about $500 if I buy it smartly. I chose this over the A640 because I want something smaller that I can fit into a pocket when I'm not diving, yet that still has all the manual controls.

But if you don't mind something slightly larger, the A640 looks like a very nice camera for both diving and topside use.

Another note on the A640 vs A710. The A640 uses 4 AA batteries while the 710 only uses 2. With a 2gb card I can shoot all day and not change the batteries so I never need to open up the housing until I'm done diving. On a rocking boat with sea spray, I wouldn't want to open my housing and risk a flooding. Also, A640 captures video at 640x480 while the 710 captures only at 320x240. The video on my 620, 640x480 at 30fps is really nice.

I'd head for the Canon option, too. The $600 upper limit will narrow the field tremendously for adding a strobe, but there are options - including waiting for a bit until you can save up!

Have a wander through the pink link in my sig as there are links to discussions and photos for several camera systems. Unfortunately there isn't a link for images from the new 710 coz no one has really posted any yet!

Well I have the DC500 and I really like it. I haven't had the chance to dive in blue water with it yet but it has worked great the the midwest mudpuddles, and great lakes of WI. Since I had no knowledge of u/w photography it has been a pleasure to just take pictures with. I would get the digital strobe if I were to do it again. The housing is sturdy and easy to work. The worst thing about the camera is the battery life. I have gotten real good at changing the battery on the surface interval...
Lurker.jpg

I took this at Lake Wazee

jeraldjcook:
My setup cost about $600, see below. I would definitely recommend the A640. Only problem with the Canon housing is that it doesn't take add-on lenses. I don't care about the extra lenses so I chose the smaller housing.

I have come across several web sites selling wide angle lens adapters for the canon a640, are they a scam?

Here's a thread with some very positive views of the DC500: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=136406
I've seen some very nice pictures taken with it, and it has the advantage of getting a prepackaged camera/strobe/lens for a very reasonable price. Generally, most of the high end PNS cameras you'll find on this forum will give you superior control of the camera and higher quality optics and images. I think your A640 choice is a really good one, as it's Canons latest processor and highest image quality in a pns camera. There are lots of other good choices as well. Make sure whatever you choose offers you full manual control, manual white balance and good aftermarket support. You'll want something that you can get accessories for and add on to as your requirements change. You'll find a lot of posts on this board from people who got a camera and can't find anything to go with it, so pick one that has all the elements you want available in popular enough products that they'll be around for a while.

Back
Top Bottom