Without a strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcagar

Registered
Reaction score
Could someone please post some pictures that have been taken without a strobe.... just so i can get an idea of what to expect if i am to buy the Canon a710 and housing(no strobe). Thanks

A lot of wide shots are done strobeless in tropical water, where there's good ambient light and visibility. If you check out the Magic Filters website, Alex Mustard has some beautiful shots done at 40ft. or less in ambient light with a filter.

Check this out...look in the middle of the page for a link to the Canon A80, no strobes - the newer models won't be much different.

You can also click on the pink link in my signature for a whole heap of compiled information to help you get started. Near the bottom of the page right now is a bit on white balance including photo examples.

some very nice pics can be made without a strobe if you set the camera and white balance right. The internal flash most of the time just makes things worse

rcagar:
Could someone please post some pictures that have been taken without a strobe.... just so i can get an idea of what to expect if i am to buy the Canon a710 and housing(no strobe). Thanks

These two were done without a strobe. I know this to be true, cause my strobe was kaput! :shakehead

64322141.jpg

64513108.jpg

Quality without a strobe will depend upon a few things. Most important is vis, and depth. Shallow reefs with good vis on a sunny day shoot very well without a strobe as long as you are not trying to shoot things under ledges, or in shade.

As you descend beyond 40f, or on a cloudy or low vis day, the strobe becomes more important if not necessary. Most PnS camera's just don't do well at ISO's over 400, and IMO ISO 400 for a lot is unacceptable for prints beyond 5x7.

Crayfish and moray. Skull cave night dive without a strobe

Untitled-1.jpg

I am particularly fond of the dolphin in the background – kind of makes the shot don’t you think?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom