Nikon D70s Camera Housing???Expierence with yours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueH2oDiver

Reaction score
Recently purchased this camera--not for underwater use but am considering buying a housing.
I don't completely trust housings.

What brand is yours and what experiences have you.
Would you recommend it?

Thanking you in advance.

50 dives or so on my ikelite for D200 and no problems at all.

Very careful with it re cleaning orings and assembly however.

Time will tell.

Ikelite makes a very popular one (#6807.1) that is also one of the most cost effective housings for the D70s. Alot of people on scubaboard use this one including mysleft. I would recommend this one. Most housing floods are caused by user error. You can also insure your D70s and housing against flooding.

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/2dslr_dttl70.html

Next, you will want an external uw strobe if you want good color in your photographs below 10 feet or so.

Warning: You are about to embark on a very expensive hobby :D

Fantasea has a newly redesigned housing for the D70s that now features an optical viewfinder, new port system, better controls and more. It has great strobe connectivity through standard Nikonos bulkheads. There are several packages available and along with the strobe housing for the SB800 Nikon strobe it is very cost-effective at only $845, small and easy to swim through the water. It comes with a standard port, 2 year warranty and 1 year of flood insurance included.

See: Fantasea FD70N Housing and SB800 Strobe

More info: Spec sheet and Photos

Jack

I have owned both a Nexus & Subal for my D70. I changed to the Subal because I wanted the magnified viewfinder. Both have excellent fit, finish and are very compact (just a little larger than the camera). The camera goes in and out of the Subal way easier than the Nexus because the camera mounts on a tray and there are guiderails in the housing.

I am now shooting a D200 in a Subal with the magnified view finder.

HTH,
Dave

You can probably find D-70 housings in a variety of brands on the used market now that the D-80 is out. I've seen several lately. They will all keep your camera from flooding - its mostly a choice of price level, features, and ease of use. I like the Ikelites because they are in the lower price range and allow the use of every control. They're mostly bullet proof and allow you to visualize the seal.

As the other guys said, almost all floodings are due to user error.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom