http://www.diveheart.org/

Program to help save whales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichKirby

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I pulled this information from the latest issue of Underwater Photography magazine (www.uwpmag.com - free downloadable magazine viewable in Adobe Reader format):

Japan’s Killing Fleet
In December 2006 & January 2007, the Japanese whaling fleet will begin to illegally kill 1,000 whales in the Antarctic Whale Sanctuary. Fifty of these whales will be endangered humpbacks and another fifty will be endangered fin whales. Although the Japanese claim research as their
motivation, the only research they are undertaking is product development and marketing of whale meat – to turn their illicit whale flesh into dog food, cosmetics, and sushi dishes for profit. The killing of these whales is a gross violation of numerous international treaties and regulations including the U.N. World Charter for Nature and the Antarctic Territorial Treaty – commercial whaling is outlawed and it is illegal to hunt
endangered species in an international whale sanctuary. It is more important than ever that we act now. Photo Mark Votier

Operation Leviathan: The Plan
for 2006
Sea Shepherd Conservation Society has embarked on Operation Leviathan: a campaign to raise funds for a new vessel to return to
Antarctica in December to defend the whales. In order for us to be
effective, we must have a ship that can match the speed of the Japanese
whaling fleet and enforce international conservation law. Our goal for this effort is $3 million to be raised in cash and pledges so that we can purchase a ship similar to the one pictured above. This is a huge undertaking for us considering our annual budget ($1. M) and our time constraints - but one that will meet with great success if we all participate.
We are more determined than ever to defend these whales which
deserve to live their lives wild and free. We believe that the heritage of
future generations should include the magnificent and intelligent whales
and that the delicately balanced ecosystems that we enjoy are preserved for future generations. The whales are counting on us for protection . . . We are counting on you to get us there.
www.seashepherd.org

Iceland Murders Its
First Endangered
Whale
“I view the taking of a whale’s life in the same manner I would view the taking of a human life. It is murder, and it is a crime to slaughter such socially complex intelligent and sensitive sentient beings. The method of killing is torturous and grossly inhumane. We would never tolerate a domestic animal to suffer such a long and painful death. Every person who regards themselves as civilized must express their disgust and their revulsion against the whale killing atrocities of Iceland, Norway, the Faeroes, and Japan. These people who practice this horrific serial killing
of whales are the most barbarous representatives of humanity upon
this planet and cast shame upon their nations.”

Captain Paul Watson
Founder and
President of Sea Shepherd

Iceland killed an endangered fin whale yesterday. This is the first illegal murder of a whale since Iceland announced their intention to violate the global moratorium on commercial whaling. The whale was swimming
happily along some two hundred miles off the coast of Iceland when
some Nordic nimrod cowardly slammed an exploding harpoon into
its backside. The whale struggled in incredible pain for a long time before losing strength and finally drowned after an agonizing period when it lungs
ruptured and its heart burst from the strain of oxygen deprivation.
There are some who will take offense at our use of the word “murder.” We make no apologies. Whales are highly intelligent, long lived, socially complex, sensitive sentient beings. It is a crime against nature and humanity to cruelly snuff out the life of even one of these great
creatures. What Iceland did is unforgivable and tragic, and leaves us with a deep resentment and anger towards Iceland. Sea Shepherd is calling for a total boycott of all Icelandic products and tourism to Iceland and the Society is already planning a campaign to confront Icelandic whale killers in Icelandic waters in 2007. “We are recruiting crew and we are organizing a plan to go to Iceland and it will be a priority following our
campaign beginning December 1st to oppose the illegal whaling activities
of the Japanese whaling fleet in the Antarctic Whale Sanctuary.
www.seashepherd.org

I usually don't post stuff like this, preferring to act on such things myself when I feel strongly enough. Since this board is focused on divers (who seem to usually be more concerned about underwater life and the health of its creatures), I thought I'd post it so those interested can take a look. Personally, I feel it is disgusting that certain nations still insist on allowing greed to outweigh the conservation of these important animals. Anyway, no preaching, just take a look if you're interested.

Will work to dive.

oh boy ...

well, nobody died last time

*crosses fingers*

i am not sure why Japan and Iceland have to harvest endangered whales.

i am not too worried about the minkes; they've never been under hunting pressure and have never been endangered, and taking 900 specimens a year is not going to dent their population

i am not sure i can agree that taking the life of a whale is the same as taking the life of a human being.

is taking the life of a cow the same as taking the life of a human being?

the life of a rabbit?

the life of a rat?

I wonder where my fish oil comes from....

very sad, hope those countries pay a price.

Just nuke em. Quicker

H2Andy:
oh boy ...

i am not sure i can agree that taking the life of a whale is the same as taking the life of a human being.

the life of a rabbit?

the life of a rat?

Well, Paul Watson indicated that whales were intelligent and socially complex (or something like that). I can't speak for rabbits or rats, but I'm pretty sure cows are not socially complex or intelligent.

I say he was a whale in a prior life. It's an emotional connection, not a logical one.

sea nmf:
It's an emotional connection, not a logical one.

you are probably right

H2Andy:

the life of a rabbit?

the life of a rat?

I'm not sure I can agree that taking the life of a whale is the same as taking the life of a human being either. I do think, however, there is a huge difference between killing a whale or a rat. For one, rats aren't endangered and, even if they were, most people wouldn't be too upset to see them go. Second, I think certain animals are given higher status than others based on perceived intelligence and our perception of them. That's why we don't allow dogs to be killed for meat or fur in our country. Dogs have been elevated to a certain status not enjoyed by some other animals. Whales, likewise. Additionally, I feel any country that knowingly condones killing any animal that is endangered and protected by international laws and agreements is pretty crappy.

Hopefully the next time this egomaniac tries to sink a vessel on the high seas they have a rifle and a seaman that is a good shot.

http://www.highnorth.no/Library/Movements/Sea_Shepherd/se-sh-re.htm

http://www.activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/oid/347

After the sinking of the Icelandic whaling vessels in 1986, Sea Shepherd lost its status as observer at the IWC(International Whaling Commission). The organisation claims that it is merely enforcing IWC rules. In February 1994, IWC Secretary, Ray Gambell, declared to NTB (the Norwegian Telegram Agency) that the IWC and all its member states ardently condemn Sea Shepherd’s acts of terrorism.

If you want to support an organization that tries to save marine mammals go with Greenspeace, they got rid of this nut long ago.

DennisS:
Hopefully the next time this egomaniac tries to sink a vessel on the high seas they have a rifle and a seaman that is a good shot.

http://www.highnorth.no/Library/Movements/Sea_Shepherd/se-sh-re.htm

http://www.activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/oid/347

After the sinking of the Icelandic whaling vessels in 1986, Sea Shepherd lost its status as observer at the IWC(International Whaling Commission). The organisation claims that it is merely enforcing IWC rules. In February 1994, IWC Secretary, Ray Gambell, declared to NTB (the Norwegian Telegram Agency) that the IWC and all its member states ardently condemn Sea Shepherd’s acts of terrorism.

If you want to support an organization that tries to save marine mammals go with Greenspeace, they got rid of this nut long ago.

Ouch! I guess I should have looked into this organization a little before I posted this. While I definitely support saving whales, this isn't exactly what I had in mind. And I thought Greenpeace was crazy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom