Kodak Z740

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone know if anyone makes an underwater housing for a kodak z740 digital camera, ive searched high and low and cant find one, and i would love to take the camera down with me, it has a great zoom and i have a huge memory card for it.

I was afraid that was the answer i was going to get. oh well i guess this means its time for a new camera, Canon powershot SD630 here i come ""drools over the 3 inch high resolution screen"" :D

Scubapat:
I was afraid that was the answer i was going to get. oh well i guess this means its time for a new camera, Canon powershot SD630 here i come ""drools over the 3 inch high resolution screen"" :D

Before you do that I suggest you look at the Canon A640 which is a 10 megapixel camera. I think you would be better served with that camera when it comes to underwater use. The higher megapixel will produce far better pictures when you crop a photo. The A640 uses AA batteries, re-chargeable preferred, which I also consider to be a plus.

I ran into the same problem. Well, I bought a camera for my wife last Christmas and then I started diving this year and now we have a camera I can not take diving. Ok well.

Scubapat,

Before you make a decision consider the following questions:

Will you be diving locally or will your dive trips involve air travel?
How often will you dive?
Do you want some "nice' UW photos or do you plan on publishing/enlarging the photos?
Is simplicity important? (too much task loading is not good)
Are you a diver who likes to take photos or an UW photographer?

Gilligan's reply is a good one depending upon your priorities. I have an Oly5050 with the UW housing and while it takes good photos, I never dive here at home. All my dive trips are plane flights away. I found the learning curve for the 5050 to be a pain in the butt for occasion UW usage (2-3x per year). I always admired my wife's Canon S400. It was easy to pack, lightweight , easy to use and took decent photos. I personally am not a fan of rechargeable AA batteries. I have a slew of them and before every dive trip, I do a slow charge (overnight) and almost always end up with 1 or 2 dead cells out of 4. It's a pain in the butt to keep replacing rechargeable AA's. OTOH, even though the proprietary Canon batteries cost more, I love the convenience of one battery, a small recharger and a quick recharge time. I never had a Canon battery fail yet, I can't say the same for the high end rechargeable NiMH AA cells...
Based on my answers to the above questions, I decided to get a Canon SD700IS. The screen size is great, I can read the large simple display, it is much easier to select modes than the Oly, there is far less shutter lag (almost none), longer battery life, easier to travel with and it takes good enough photos for my purposes. Oh and the biggest advantage, it is compact and easy to pack it, the housing and the accessories all in a small carry on bag. If I lived in a place where I dive/take photos 3-4 times a week and could get in a car and drive to the dive locations, I would have a different opinion.

well i plan on diving locally as well as vacation diving, i live in wreck valley area so i have access to plenty of diving within 2-3 hrs drive.

this what i was looking at, but i would like plenty of sugestions first:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=12956

using this housing or somthing similar:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=434999&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

opinions, suggestions, insults welcome :p

Have a look at the camera Gilligan suggested and also hit the Pink Link in my signature - there is a list of popular choices along with links to images and discussions on them. It's very helpful in narrowing down the millions of choices!

I'd say skip any camera that does not allow you full control to change the aperture, shutter and white balance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom