11-9 Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I returned to my secret spot to confirm the Bandit Angelfish indeed resides there.
1.jpg

While I was watching the Angelfish this Octopus was watching me.
2.jpg

And this Spiny Porcupinefish was hiding nearby
3.jpg

Love the photos! When I come to Maui at the end of January, will you show me where the bandit angelfish lives? Pretty please?

Really spectacular shots of the Octopus and the Spiny Porcupinefish. I'm running out of good adjectives, Jim.

Jim, they just keep getting better.

these are incredible photos. astounding, awesome. magnifies the phenomenal beauty and splendor that we are fortunate to see.
This will sound rather silly, but how exactly do you take those photos? Do you get real close by holding your breath? I mean like a foot or less away. OR, do you use zoom? If you use zoom, what about light? How do you get such detail and fantastic color? Your pictures are as good as done by any professional anywhere. Truly spectacular. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Awesome pictures, as usual! You are testing my patience to its limit, as I await my trip to Maui in January. :) Can't come soon enough, especially with Chicago winter kicking in.

Everday I look for your pics on here, and I'm never disappointed. Awesome shots!!!!

Carribeandiver:
these are incredible photos. astounding, awesome. magnifies the phenomenal beauty and splendor that we are fortunate to see.
This will sound rather silly, but how exactly do you take those photos? Do you get real close by holding your breath? I mean like a foot or less away. OR, do you use zoom? If you use zoom, what about light? How do you get such detail and fantastic color? Your pictures are as good as done by any professional anywhere. Truly spectacular. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Thank you for the compliment.
I almost always use my zoom feature.
I was about three feet away on the spiny porcupine and using an external strobe.
I was about two feet away on the octopus and using my wide angle wet mount lens and external strobe.
I was several feet away on the angelfish shot but was using manual white balance and no strobe. I also bumped up the ISO from 100 to 200 on that shot because of the 80 foot depth and lack of ambient light as the sun was behind clouds. I don't like using a higher ISO as it makes the photo more "grainy" but I needed to at that depth and light conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom