gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CSD1129

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hey guys,
I'm currently on vacation in Sint Maarten and after diving (while wearing reef gloves) I noticed that i have these small itchy bumps on the backs of my hands. I think it has something to do with the gloves that I was wearing. I've worn these gloves before without a problem...but not on this trip!

Does anyone know what I can use to wash the gloves (they're nearly brand new...) and get rid of whatever it is that's making them irritate my skin?

thanks!
-Christine

Well well...I've heard this old song before! You may have been in an area that had a specific near-microscopic creature in their mating season (can't recall the name for some dumb reason). I had an encounter with them in the Caribbean back in 2002. If this is the case, then you simply have a good old sting reaction.

If it's not a sting reaction, then you may have had some interesting mold growing on your gloves from the last use. This process should work for both scenarios.

Soak the gloves in a vinegar and fresh water solution for about 15 minutes. You'll need something to stir them around a bit. If I recall, it's no more than 3/4 cup of vinegar per gallon of fresh water. Be sure to thoroughly clean the gloves with soap and water (so the vinegar won't stain them), then rinse thoroughly with just water.

thanks! I'll give it a try. This has happened to me before...last april. I don't think I could possibly have a mold growing in the gloves...they're nearly brand new...and I wish them with McNett wetsuit/drysuit shampoo after each dive trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom