more budget snorkeling vacation questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crayzray

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions for alternate places my husband and I might go for our 20th anniversary snorkeling vacation.

As I've been looking at the other options I've realized that I'm really clueless about timing. We are thinking of going in March because our college age daughter will be home and be able to babysit our other kids. (Making our trip more affordable...) But then I was wondering--will going in March mean we run into spring break time? That's the farthest thing from what we're after.

thanks again,
Cindy in NC

No, she'll be home because she goes to college during the summer & fall, but not winter. So we don't know what a normal college/spring break schedule is!

Hey, what part of NC??? Fuquay Varina here......

Hi Cindy,
To some extent it depends on where you go. Coz or Ft Lauderdale, yea there is a good chance of spring breakers. Go to Curacao or Bonaire and it's highly unlikely and if you do, they are diving not partying.

We've lived in Durham & north of Durham for 11 years. We love it here. Now if there was just some snorkeling.... (or a cheap fare to Bonaire!!)

Herman,
Thanks--that makes sense to me. So maybe if we end up deciding we're going to Coz we need to go in Feb. instead...

Cindy

Cindy,

If you wanted to go to Bonaire, look to the end of March, better airfare and you will miss the majority of spring break crowd, though in respective, compared to Coz, North Caribbean, etc, Bonaire is not considered crowded at all.

Enjoy!

Liz

Cindy, if you really want to snorkel lot, see lots of fish and have some piece and quiet in the evening, do consider Bonaire. It can be a pain to get to and somewhat on the expensive side for air but once you get there all the snorkeling is free from shore and you can find very reasonable accomidations. Liz (see post above) runs a nice small Inn on Bonaire and you will not find a better host.
When considering the cost of your trip, don't forget to include the cost of the snorkeling itself. Most places you have to pay for someone to take you out. You can run up a big bill taking snorkeling trips and still not get in much time. All the snorkeling you can stand is free on Bonaire, including night snorkeling which is something you really should try.

Hey Crayzray
During the month of March the same wind that blows here often blows down in the Caribbean and can make snorkeling more of a chalange or even close some of the beaches for several days in a row. Aruba, Bonaire and Curcao have some of the best snorkeling and have great protected aeras for snorkeling that time of year. Bonaire is our favorite but all are great to be on that time of year. All have great snorkeling right from the beach and tons of fish. The water is even warmer then Cancun and Spring breakers don't consider this a spot to be. Have a great adventure.
Britt :fish:
:fish:

Back
Top Bottom