Help with starter camera selection...PLEASE!?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianw2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have spent hours searching the various forums. My eyeballs are about to pop. The level of knowledge here is incredible.

I am a new diver living in Southern California. My wife and I were certified PADI OW and AOW this past August and September. I went on to PADI Rescue Diver. We have 30 dives logged outside our class dives. We’ve shore dived at La Jolla and at the Avalon Dive Park on Catalina. We’ve boat dived from the Bottom Scratcher at Catalina. We’ve just come back from a week’s worth of diving with Raphael from Dolphin Dive Center in Loreto, BCS, Mexico. In short, we’re both absolutely hooked and having a blast diving our brains out! We bought our own equipment with the sole exception of tanks, which we currently find more convenient to rent.

After reading everthing I can find, I feel a bit like the emoticon attached to this post! :(

I need advice. I want to buy a camera to take with us diving. I’d like something in a point and shoot digital camera and housing that won’t crush me with too many new things to learn up front (i.e.- a nice "auto" mode for newbies) but has enough manual control to make me learn and get decent results. I’d like to find a simple set up that I can expand with a strobe, wide angle lens and other accessories to increase the capabilities of the camera and me as I learn. I’d like to spend about $800 or less.

I have been interested in the Sealife DC500 Elite set-up, but am concerned with the negative reviews. A number of the lower end Olympus and Cannon models seem very interesting, but the housings don’t seem to be "upgradable" with decent external strobes.

Obviously, I expect to do mostly "snapshot" type photos at first. I’d like to be able to expand into macro shots (I am absolutely fascinated by nudibranchs and similar creatures!) It would be great to add a UW swappable wide angle lens later on, too.

I realize I’m asking for a heck of a lot. So…

Questions:

Is there such an item?
What would you recommend and why?

Thanks for reading. I really appreciate your time and your suggestions. Thanks!

Canon A series :) or the Oly 350, right now. You can add external strobes to either with the ikelite OR the manufacturer housing.

If you haven't yet, check out the Pink Link in my signature. Inside you'll find a whole lot of information, condensed!, to get you started. You'll also find a list of popular camera choices along with more links to take you to images and discussions for each.

i agree with alcina, sp350 or canon.. if you want to upgrade with extra bits and pieces, the Ike housing might be the better bet and its more robust.

Canon 10 megapixel A640 with either the Canon or Ikelite housing.

The Ike housing is twice the price but has a 67mm port for adding wet mount lenses. It is also a more robust housing as stated by Mike Veitch.

Camera $300. Ike housing $400.

Agree with all the above, Canon A series or Olympus 350. The only extra thing to think about, the Ikelite housings are certainely better housings but they are also bigger and have a tendenacy to block the internal flash. If you plan on not getting an external flash for a bit you might be better off with the Canon or Olympus housing.

Thanks for the input. The following is the "short list" and data from the huge pile of data I’ve collected looking at digital UW cameras.

Canon A640 (10 megapixels) ......$300
Canon WP-DC8 housing......no longer available
Ikelite Housing #6140.64......$ 400

Canon A540 (4.5 mexapixels) ......<$200
Canon WP-DC2 housing......<$200
Ikelite Housing #6140.54......$ 400

Canon A710 (7.1 megapixels) ......$200
Canon WP-DC6 housing......<$200
Ikelite Housing #6140.71......$ 400

Olympus SP-350 (8 megapixels) ......<$200
Olympus PT-030 Housing ......$200
Ikelite housing # 6132.35 ...... $ 500

Sealife DC500 Elite Kit: ......$750 (from legitimate retailers on eBay)
Sealife DC500 (5 megapixels)
Sealife Housing
Sealife Digital Strobe
Sealife Base tray and fiber optic cable
Sealife Wide angle lens and docking station

NOTES:
Canon housings do not accept external wide angle lenses. They do allow use of the internal flash but do not have any provision for controlling strobes other than slave strobes under manual modes. The Canon housings are half the price of the Ikelite housings and are smaller and more streamlined but are not as rugged or rated for the same depth.

Olympus housings will allow TTL connections to external strobes. They are rated to 131 feet; approx. 70 feet less than the Ikelite. I cannot determine if the Olympus housing will allow attachment of an external wide angle lens. The Inon AD Mount Base ($70) for the PT-030 allows use of Inon&#8217;s Underwater Fisheye Conversion Lens ($370), Wide Angle Conversion Lens ($260) and Close-up Lens (165mm focal length) ($150)

Ikelite housings will accept external wide angle lenses from Inon. However, the housings are bulky and much more expensive.

So&#8230;in your opinions, why, exactly, is the Sealife DC500 Elite Kit no worth the effort? As far as I can see, it puts me in a camera that isn&#8217;t going to be to difficult to learn; it gives me an external digital strobe; it gives me a wide angle lens; and it includes a base tray, cables, docking station, etc. all for less than $800. :confused:

Before you conclude that the canon housings is unable to accept wide angle check to see whether there is a wide angle adaptor available.

I am using an older Caonon s50 in a WP DC300 housing and am happy with the results I have from my 16mm sea and sea lens (made for the Motor marine II so quite widely available second hand) which attaches with a sea and sea conversion lens adapter. I am sure therte are others on the board who know whether the conversion adapters will work for other wide angles and on the more recent housings.

Alison

alijtaylor:
Before you conclude that the canon housings is unable to accept wide angle check to see whether there is a wide angle adaptor available.

I am using an older Caonon s50 in a WP DC300 housing and am happy with the results I have from my 16mm sea and sea lens (made for the Motor marine II so quite widely available second hand) which attaches with a sea and sea conversion lens adapter. I am sure therte are others on the board who know whether the conversion adapters will work for other wide angles and on the more recent housings.

Alison
Most of the newer canon housings have oval shaped lens ports for which there are not any lens mounts, yet. that goes for the canon made housings for the a630, 640, 710IS and G7 and probably others as well. The ike housings for these cameras do take attachment lenses though.

the sealife does not have good image quality and does not give you anything in the way of manual controls

The WP-DC8 housing for the A640 is available. That is a fairly new camera.

I am on the edge of upgrading and my choice so far is the Canon A640 and the Ike housing as I have two 67 mm wet mount lenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom