Mako battery charger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdshort

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There are a couple of Mako scooters on ebay that include a battery but no charger. I know you can buy a charger from Oceanic designed for the Mako, but that's $300. Are there cheaper chargers that will work with the Mako batteries?

Brian

Ok, thanks. I decided not to bid on them, as I don't trust the auction. Seller with 0 feedback, only takes money order or cashiers check, only about 2 sentences describing the items, and only 1 picture, plus the fact they come with batteries but no charger.

There's a Farallon I'm considering bidding on even though they are pretty big!

You need a 24 volt charger, the 12volt batteries are in series which doubles voltage. I believe that the fellow at www.dpvrepair.com can guide you on this. There is a capaciter in some charging circuits that prevents sparking whn the connectors are--uh--connected. This prevents chargers that have "smart" capability from sensing the battery voltage.

I just got a Tekna charger on ebay that was supposed to be functional--lol--it is not but I think I can repair it. I sold a Tekna with charger to a friend so there went my charger. I could remove the capciter and then the "smart" charger I have would work.

There is nothing magic BTW about Mako/Tekna or whatever batterises. You can purchase standard sealed lead acid 12V cells that are identical replacements for as cheap as 35 dollars per battery.

OK, a 19 amp 12V battery in series with another will provide 24V at 19 amps. If they were set in parrallel then you would get 12V at 38 amps.

N
NAVED Master Diver 111 and master of technology and I can write in cursive--lol

Back
Top Bottom