Camera Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mgnau

Registered
Reaction score
I use a Olympus 3030Z with PT-010 Housing. Can anyone direct me to finding a filter for my equipment ? I'm getting too much blue in my pictures.

Mike

Mgnau:
I use a Olympus 3030Z with PT-010 Housing. Can anyone direct me to finding a filter for my equipment ? I'm getting too much blue in my pictures.

Mike

Using "auto" white balance will always yield blue photos on non-strobe shots. The simplest solution to your problem is to shoot your non-strobe photos using "manual" white balance calibrating it off a dive slate or the like. A filter is not necessary.

Even if you use the filter you still need to use manual white balance and calibrate it with the filter on.

You can adjust your blue photos in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro with the procedures on each link.

I second Gilligans opinion. Try shooting with manual white balance first. You need to use it with magic filters anyway. As you go deeper the less light penetrates the water and water dissolves color from light. First to go is red then green and ultimately there's only blue. Our brain fills some colors back and kinda fools our eyes. Camera can't do this so you end up having blue (non strobe) photos. If you tell your camera at some depth that this is supposed to be white it can adjust all other colors to match too. This will do fine in clear waters until 20-25 metres. After that there's just no red light to adjust to and you end up with blueish photos unless you use a strobe ofcourse.

Photoshopping your pictures afterwards is also very handy. You can add some color even with jpeg (compressed with lossy color information) pictures.

Hope this helped :)

Ok, maybe i can go with a strobe. Can anyone recommend a stobe ? Not to expensive that will work with my PT-010. Does anyone have a used one they wish to part with at a reasonable price. Like I don't have enough things hanging on me when I dive. Sometimes I'm sorry I take a camera. My dive buddy comes up asking me did you see this and that and because I was playing with the camera I missed a lot.

Mike

Sunpak is a $200. strobe that comes with an arm/tray.

Best to talk with some folks here that use it. There may be some issue with the battery compartment staying sealed.

You are still going to have to use manual white balance for non-strobe shots.

sunpak/epoque same strobe different packaging looking at GBP250.00 great strobe for compacts.
Or try Sea and Sea the YS25 has just been discontinued so going cheaper at the mo.

Mike -

How much photography are you going to do? I personally wouldn't bother with the sunpak offerings or any other "little" strobe. They may be OK for basic close-up/macro but have considerable limitations if you want to take your photography further.

A strobe is one thing I would not skimp on as it should last virtually forever once you buy it. It's not like a camera that you will likely upgrade in a few years for one reason or another. A good strobe will move with you as you change systems so the $450+ you spend now will be spread over quite a few years. I would wait and not spend that $200 now. YMMV and everyone has different needs and expectations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom