Had an issue with my Veo 180

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

francousteau

Contributor
Reaction score
I was doing a quarry dive on Saturday with my max depth at 93ffw. I was in that area for about 15mins and then worked my way to about 60ffw, finally hitting about 40ffw. At this point, I had about 55min run time and started to make an ascent. At approx. 29ffw, the Veo 180 LED started flashing and the screen went blank came back on to the default screen and repeated this a couple of more times. When it finally calmed down, I looked for a DECO ceiling and it showed me NO deco time. I ascended a few more feet and it repeated this craziness. Again, it showed me no deco obligation and when I got to 20ffw, it counted down my 3min stop (which it wouldn't do if I had any deco time). During my SI, I checked the log and it showed DECO on the graph in the nitrogen tissue loading area. I did my 2nd dive, which was shallower at about 62ffw max. and had no issues. The battery is about 1 month old, so I'm kinda ruling that out, but don't know whether this is something I should be overly concerned about or what. Could it be that I was on the edge of DECO, but maybe bounced a foot or two and that made the computer crazy? If anyone has experienced something similar or has any ideas, that would be appreciated. I'm questioning whether I should get rid of it at this point. One last thing, my dive buddy was diving with a VEO 250, with the same gas and had no issues.

Sounds like a faulty computer which is something to be conserned with. If it is under warrenty, exercise the warrenty. If not, contact Oceanic and see what they will do. A friend of mine had problems with his out of warrenty 180 and they made him a pretty good deal. I get the impression that Oceanic has had some problems with some of their computers.

Best bet then is to take it to your local authorized Oceanic Dive Store and have them send it back for you.

PRODUCT CATEGORY
Digital Instruments

WARRANTY COVERAGE
Materials and Craftsmanship Requires Annual Service

WARRANTY PERIOD
Two-year from date of purchase Optional Alliance Service Agreement

EXCEPTIONS
Plastic gauge faces, rubber boots, HP hoses, o-rings, batteries

Above is from the Oceanic site regarding the warranty coverage for the digital instruments. If anything, it is worth letting Oceanic know what occurred.

The best thing would be to send it back to us and we will send it on to Oceanic and let them get it figured out... they will get it fixed up sent back to you if it can be fixed if not we will just replace it for you. If you have any questions fell free to give me a call 877-728-2243

Do you need it for any up coming dive trips? if so we will send you a loaner.

Thanks

Joe

UPDATE:
I sent my VEO back to Joe and ScubaToys (who sent it off to Oceanic) right after the above post. Glad to say that I received a VEO back today. Not the same VEO, but a NEW one! In a world where customer service is almost non-existant, I'm saying THANKS to ScubaToys for taking care of this so quickly and not passing the buck. Joe and Larry, you guys are great!!
Also, THANKS to OCEANIC for their customer service and standing behind their product.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom