Magnum Vs. Blizzard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segundo3000gt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I live in Minnesota and while I plan to do some tropical diving most of my dives will be in Minnesota lakes. Though I plan to dive during the summer where temperatures will be warmer, I'd like to get a setup that prepares me for possible colder water diving. I plan to dive at Lake Superior and would consider ice diving.

I've visited the sherwoodscuba.com website and there are two regulators that I am looking at: the magnum and the blizzard. The magnum says "The Magnum meets or exceeds Navy diving tests and all European EN250 standards, including cold water performance tests." Could you let me know if there is a cutoff line for temperature that you would recommend switching over from the Magnum to the blizzard? Other than the price, is there any other reason I might want a Magnum over a Blizzard? Thanks.

~Mike

I would go for the Blizzard, the 1st has 2 Primary ports were the Magnum has one and the 2nd stage has the built in heat exchanger that will work as a moisture retention in warm water diving, the Magnum does not offer that either.

If I were to cut out the ice diving would you say that the magnum would be sufficient? If I can get away with the magnum for what I'm going to use it on I'd like to because it does seem to be significantly cheaper.

Go with the reg, with the heat exchanger if your going to be diving superior. At depth it is the same temp. as being under the ice. I've seen alot of divers in superior freeflow at depth with regs that are not env. sealed and do not have a heat exchanger

Brian Day
PADI MSDT# 198541, Ice diver

I have a Blizzard from 1991....first reg I bought. Still works the same today and I use it as my primary. My secondary is a newer blizzard.

Question for the reps if they are out there.....My original Blizzard is a Sherwood Blizzard Magnum. Is that like the best of both worlds?

the next question would be whether the older style blizzards have the heat exchanger or if that is a new feature. if so, when did it get added?

how about the maximus? does the maximus have the heat exchanger?

My 91 blizzard has the heat exchangers and I had an even older model for an octopus that also had them. Probably had the exchangers added sometime in the 80's ??? perhaps evn earlier

The magnum will do the job, however the Blizzard will do it better in cold. There is another bonus not mentioned (or I missed it), the Blizzard heat exchanger also acts to prevent dry mouth.

Back
Top Bottom