rubber weight belt thickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spoolin01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got a friendly dispute going over a rubber belt I bought on eBay and am looking for a little intel. I dive in NoCal with a little in the Channel Islands and yearly trips to Hawaii. I have used a cam-buckle rubber belt for 4 years or so and can't imagine why anyone would ever wear nylon! However, rubber belts seem rare among scube divers here and in the few LDSs I frequent. The few belts I've seen packaged or sold by the foot are all ~1/8" thickness. I wear between 10 and 40# lead depending on the situation, and the first belt I had lasted 4 years before it got nicked and tore. The belt I just bought is 1/16", which I can imagine might work fine for freediving or warm-water scuba where only a few lbs of lead is required. I'll probably take it to Kona in two weeks. However, I'm curious what goes on elsewhere. Is 1/16" common for scuba?

Mike

Mike,

To be honest I never seen a rubber belt. I assume the rubber is used to compensate for wet suit compression at depth. Years ago a friend gave me a Scubapro belt that used bungies to compensate for depth. That belt has long since dry-rotted and I have not seen anyone else use the bungie idea. I use a nylon belt with old fashion lead wieghts. I agree with you that 1/8 inch thickness seems too little. Can you glue 2 belts together using rubber cement? or Can you move some of your weight off the belt? Also do the weights sag using a rubber belt?

ams511:
To be honest I never seen a rubber belt. I assume the rubber is used to compensate for wet suit compression at depth.
Never seen a rubber belt??? This most probably means you're quite 'new' to scuba diving... no?
When I started scuba diving in the late 80's almost everyone I knew did have a rubber belt with a 2-piece quick release buckle... and this rubber belt simply was a DIY belt cut from the inner tyre of a lorry... Extremely convenient since indeed it covers up for the wetsuit compression at depth and also "no money" since it didn't cost anything to get an old inner tyre somewhere. And I'm still using my "old" rubber belt now since 1988, for 900+ hours of openwater dives, and it's still really "as good as new" and still does a perfect job, both with my wetsuit dives as well as with my drysuit dives in winter time.
By the way, when I'm going on a dive vacation I don't take this rubber belt with me since I hate to remove the weight, but I did "modify" a standard nylon belt to also compensate wetsuit compression... see picture on http://www.torpedo.be/belt.html (sorry, the text itself is in Dutch) and this rubber loop actually does a great job too!

My rubber belt (with hook-type buckle) is also 1/8". I got the critter more for the buckle than the rubber, I'm fond of those wire hook buckles.
Innertube weight belts, eh? My first "weight belt" was 6' of old logging chain with "binder twine in a bow" for a quick release. That got me down long enough to pick up enough lead to melt down into 2 lb weights; I think it took 12 lbs to sink me back then, complete with wetsuit.

I make my own wire buckles from 3/16 stainless. At age 13 when I made the very first from a coat hangar. This type of buckle is harder to trip accidently and makes it superior for Scuba and free diving. However, adjusting the weights might be a bit more difficult depending on the type of slide or clasp used. I make those, too, because the typical commercial slide is made for 1/16 material. Rubber creates friction making it safe to use slides with fairly wide slots. Once adjusted, the adjustments don't move thus making the belt tension consistent provided the same suit is used. I just keep two or three belts on the boat with different weights and lengths. I don't like the Trident belt. I view their wire buckle as too likely to snag. My buckles are copied from a design found in CA many years ago. The male (hook) side has a rather sharp angle. When the thing is closed there is no gap between the hook and the belt which could snag a loop of shooting line or kelp.

Luc Dupas:
Never seen a rubber belt??? This most probably means you're quite 'new' to scuba diving... no?

No, I am not new to diving. I was certified in 1991. However, I do admit I have not paid much attention to weight belts. I have a nylon one and one day at a Diver's Supply tent sale I bought 3 Beauchat weight belts for $ 1.00 each so I was set. However, I do like the idea of a rubber belt.

I have three questions. First, can you use a standard belt buckle with a rubber belt? Second, in the picture you posted where did you find the rubber loop? Also how did you sew the rubber loop onto the belt? 3) Does the weight sag when using a rubber belt? Thanks in advance.

I'll answer some of that: the rubber belt tensions against the body and does not sag even at depth. Although the belt may feel tight on the surface it feels perfect underwater. Remember, it will breath with you. However, some types of weights like the "pearls" will tend to twist when attempting to swing the belt around the back. A flat, thin weight seems to work better for donning but in any case not a big deal. Not all cam type buckles will work with a rubber belt. Some, like the old Scubapro stainless work well. I don't see any big deal with holding that rubber ring. Secure it with slides or sew loops in the belt using an awl.

Thanks for the info. I actually have an old Scubapro Stainless Buckle from my dry-rotted jet belt. I did not think of using slides to hold the loop, that is a good tip. I seen on the DIY knife thread that a shoe repair shop can do that work, but the slides will allow me to play with it first. I am not sure what that rubber ring was from, but bungie should also work. I am going to try that. I hate having the belt become looser as I decend.

One of my buddies keeps telling me that I need to get one of those. I am leaning towards it, but I do have one worry. If it gets cut or cracks, isn't it possible that it will split, possibly in the middle of a dive? Has anyone heard of this happening or am I just being too paranoid?

Back
Top Bottom