A little Maui here, a little Maui there

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calscubagirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys!

I haven't been able to get online until tonight. I don't think the wireless gods are very friendly in the Napili area. Actually, it's the place I'm staying. I've always, been able to get online here in this area. Oh well.

Once I finally got to Maui and bringing a hang over with me from Kona, I figured it wouldn't be a very good idea to do any dives once I got to Maui. I broke all the rules of a "night before a dive" and paid for it the next day by 1. Feeling like crap 2. No dive

I went to the Maui Music Festival last night. Had an absolute blast! Had the best seats in the house and believe me the house rocked! The Nelson boys opened up the event and then Pat Simmons Jr. (son a one of the Doobie Brothers and my adopted little brother...not legally though, lol.) took the stage and as a 16 year old, blew everyone away with his talented guitar playing. To keep this as short as possible, since I have a 4:00AM wake up.
The Doobie Brothers, Willie Nelson, Gail Swanson, Marty Dread, the Nelson boys, Pat Simmons Jr., Lara Johnston (another kid of one of the Doobs) put on one of the best show's I've ever seen. A few friends of mine joined me, my best friend Sue from Oahu, Captain Don and Pete from Prodiver.

I'm going out with Prodiver tomorrow to hopefully do Molokini's back wall and ??

I went to dinner up at a friend of mine's Mom's house tonight for a huge dinner and lots of talk story. This guy is made one of the best dinner I've ever had. I just hope I don't sink like a log tomorrow. We ate so much food, lol! The night before he did a little hosting up on the stage at the music festival. His name is Branscomb Richmond and is now hosting a new show called Good morning Hawaii. I'm really excited about this show because it's going to be going Nationwide. So for us people that miss Hawaii and leave a piece of our hearts behind on the islands, now I can turn my TV on in the morning and watch what's going on here. If you guys get a chance check it out. I think it's on at around 11AM. On the main land, I think it's going to be on at 8AM. I wish them luck and hope they get great reviews.

Sounds like a blast, CSG. So, are these the new Doobies, with the offspring of the original members?

I think I remember Branscomb Richmond from a syndicated series a few years back. It was kind of like a Magnum PI-type show he was one of the helpers for the main character (kind of like T.C. was for Thomas Magnum). I can't remember the name of the show, though...something like Renegade?

They are the original Doobie Brothers. If you guys ever get the chance to see them, you wont regret it! They're awesome!!

There were a couple of the kids from a couple of the Doobs on stage opening for the Doobs and Willie.

Yes, Branscomb played the American Indian on Renegade...although he is Hawaiian.

Did the back wall today and the St. Anthony wreck. There was a turtle that I thought was having a problem. He looked stuck. After watching him for a few minutes, I realized he was just scratching himself, lol.

That's awesome! I love wall dives. Did you penetrate the wreck?

ScubaTexan:
That's awesome! I love wall dives. Did you penetrate the wreck?
The St. Anthony isn't much for "pentration" -- in fact, there isn't anywhere you can go inside where you aren't 5 feet or less from an exit. :)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh....I gotcha! :D

Even though the St. Anthony is basically a swim-thru, it's possible to find some cool fish lurking inside (like the Redstriped Pipefish I saw last time).

oh, for sure! I'm not knocking it as a great site -- I love it out there.

But when people talk of doing a "penetration", I don't think that counts any more than the Cathedrals or "caves" at Makena count as "cave diving"... :)

Yep, gonna have to agree. The St. Anthony is not much of a penetration but, it's an easy and fun dive. I love that wreck because of the turtles that hang out there and there is a lot of life brewing around the wreck. The pipe fish are still there :)

One of these days, I'll have to put some video on here with the damsels that attacked my camera. You can here them hit the lense. Pretty funny.
I also caught on video, two blue box fish courting and breeding. After they were through, the male "swam" his date home and then left. You would have had to have been there, lol.

I saw this at the St. Anthony.

No doubt the current Doobies are great, and the line-up for the MAC show made for an even greater show. There are however only two origional members currently in the band.

On their demo and first albums (Introducing the Doobie Brothers and The Doobie Brothers) the members were; Tom Johnston (g), John Hartman (d), Dave Shogren (b) and Pat Simmons (g). Michael Hossack took over the drums on the sophmore album (Toulouse Street - '71).

The current line-up includes Tom, Pat and Michael, with Mark Russo (s), John McFee (g), Guy Allison (k), Ed Toth (d) and Skylark (b). I spoke briefly with Mark at the Maui Onion before he headed over to the show, he's been with the band for 9 years. Some of the band and crew stayed at the Renaissance.

I wish I could have made it to that show! CSG, did Pete find the scarlet cleaner shrimp I gave him directions to? Please show the box fish and shrimp video if you got it.

The next show at the MAC that I hope to see is Richard Thompson.

Back
Top Bottom