Differences between an 18-70 (set at 60mm) and a 60mm macro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AUTiger

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm new to dSLR cameras, having just bought my first (Nikon D80) and my first lenses (18-135 kit lense and a 60mm macro). I don't totally understand the differences between the styles of lenses.

Today's question is what is the difference between an 18-70 zoom lens zoomed out to 60mm and a dedicated 60mm macro lens?

Zoom:

Aperature of f/3.5-4.5
Minimum focus distance of 15"
Magnification (I guess at 70mm) of 1:6.2
Angle of view is 76 to 22 degrees

Macro:

Aperature of f/2.8
Minimum focus distance of 8.8"
Magnification of 1:1
Angle of view is 39 degrees

In writing this, I guess I've mostly answered my own question. A focal length of 60mm does not give the same results between the two lenses. Even at maximum magnification, the zoom still only gives 1:6.2, not even close to 1:1.

In real world applications, how small of a creature can I take a picture of with the zoom lense? With the macro, I can go as small as I wish, particularly with teleconverters or extension tubes (still learning about those - saw another thread about that topic).

Thanks for your comments and feedback. I think that an 18-70 lense will be my next purchase. I'm not ready to commit to a 12-24. My father-in-law is planning on buying one of those and he will lend it to me if needed. He also has a 105 macro. The 18-70 looks to be very practical for land and see.

David

what you should do is practice!

Set something up ( a figurine) next to your camera on a tripod or in the housing. And then take lots of pictures and notes of your settings(the beauty of digital). then swap lenses and try multiple different settings, then you will have agood grasp of what each lense can do.

The 18-70 would be a waste of money IMHO. You have the 18-135 for topside. It is more flexible for "walking around". The 18-70 isn't going to give you anything that you don't already have. To use the 18-70 underwater, you will need a dome port and a diopter (I can't remember if it takes a +2 or a +4). It will not be a good macro lens nor a good wide angle lens. It will be OK as a fish lens....but you can't beat the 60mm as a fish lens (IMHO). Your money would be better spent getting a Sigma 15mm f2.8 (~ $350)or a Nikkor 10.5mm (~ $600), then you would have a true WA lens.

If I don't know what to expect on a dive, I use my 60mm and carry a "Woody's Diopter" (which can be put on or removed underwater). I can shoot anything from 3/4 of a shark down to a Blenny.

Link to the Wetmate Diopters for DSLR's:
http://www.reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=96&products_id=857

Dave

Practicing is definitely in the plan. I wish my pool was warmer. Its California diving cold. A least I have a big hot tub. Big enough to work with my 60mm. I don't have an 18-70, but I can borrow one easily enough from my father in-law. When I bought my last camera, I spent quite a few hours taking pictures of little plastic sharks set on a rock in the bottom of my pool.

I'll search for more feedback on the 18-70 lens. I want wide angle, but I don't want to be restricted to only wide-angle on a dive. The 18-70 does require a +4 diopter and the 6" dome. I would be happy if it would allow me to take pictures of things that range from a 4" fish to portions of a wreck or a decent reef scene. I don't want to carry around an 8" dome if I can avoid it. That sucker is huge.

The Woody Diopter looks like an inexpensive addition to my 60mm.

I will continue to search the boards for more info before making my Christmas Shopping List.

David

The 60mm is a true macro lens, and it's faster at f2.8 then the 18-70mm. What this means is that it will be brighter when viewing through the viewfinder, it will allow for shooting in lower light, or at more stopped down apertures, but you are fixed at a 90mm eq focal length.

1:1 means that you will be able to focus on an object, and the object size can be done at a 1:1 ratio on the sensor. IOW's if you focus on a penny, the size of the penny at the sensor is actual size. If you focus on a penny with the 6:1 zoom, the size of the penny will be 1/6 the actual size.

For UW use photographers generally like wide lenses between 10mm~35mm (15mm~52mm EQ) and a macro around 60mm, or around 105mm. Macros allow the photographer to isolate smaller subjects. The wider lenses allow for Wide angle reef shots. However if shooing medium sized fish an 18-70mm range lens can be useful.

This is done at 60mm, so a fairly effective fish lens for some situations.
65026910.jpg

But 60mm is going to be a bit long for a lot of fish shots like the one done below.
64513114.jpg

additionally the 60mm is very sharp. I have the 18-70, 60mm and 16mm. I find myself leaving the zoom lens ashore more often than not in favor of the superior quality of the prime lenses even though I lose the flexability.

With that being said, the 18-70 is capable of taking some nice photos underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom