Would like advice regarding Wing Selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

park1231

Reaction score
I have been researching the different brands of BP/Wings and have decided to go with a Halcyon setup. I need some advice whether a 27lb wing would be a good choice for me or if I should go with the next size up. I've only been diving for a few months and dont plan on doing any tech diving anytime soon so this will be a recreational rig. I live in southern california so I wear a
7mil fullsuit w/hood,gloves,booties most of the time Im 5'10"
170lbs and bounce around between 9-12% body fat depending
on time of year :D the local shops recommended a 27lb wing
but I'd like to get some more suggestions

thanks!

27# should be fine unless you plan on integrating all or part of your weights (channel weight/ACB.)

The wing serves several purposes. It is a buoyancy compensator for both buoyancy gained through gas use and buoyancy loss through suit compression. The 27# should be sufficient in this regard for your needs.

However the wing also needs to float the rig in the water if and when you take it off. Too much weight and the over-rated 27# will not float it.

For example my 27# wing will not float my 6# SS bp, 6# channel weight, cannister light, steel LP104 with 1500 psi in saltwater even though that does not add up to 27#.

I've tried both the 27 and 36 lb wings. I like the 36 for one reason only.

The two wings are almost identical, except for a small flap of material that's sewn in near the bottom of the wing. This allows for expansion, and thus the extra lift.

The reason I like it is because, for me, it helps keep my feet up when in a horizontal position. The extra space keeps the lift near my butt as opposed to higher up. I use it mostly when diving warm water in a 2mil shorty. I also used it when I visited Uncle Pug (and that's definately not warm water!).

My 36-pound wing isn’t here yet so only time will tell if I made the right decision but I made it based on the following criteria. The worst case (need for the most lift) is at depth with a full tank having dropped any negatively buoyant baggage.

So I calculated:

10 Swing weight of HP120 (full versus Empty)
8 Reduction in buoyancy due to 7-mil wet suit compression
4 Reduction in buoyancy from accidentally dropping bailout bottle
3 Reel, spool, surface marker, light, etc. I threw after the bailout bottle

25 Pounds total required if weighted perfectly

It seemed as though 27 was cutting it too close.

Mike

WHAT? No OMS Bungeed wings?

park1231, I'd highly recommend the Pioneer 36 # wing. I use that wing with a 7 mil Henderson wetsuit and I'm about the same build as you've described yourself and it works great or me. Even though it has a little more lift than the 27 # wing, it's still an extremely streamlined wing and having a little extra lift is better than not having enough.

I wear a 7mil and sometimes a 7mil vest out here in SoCal ... I use the 36lb pioneer wing and find it gives more than enough lift. I've never tried the 27lb. I chose the 36lb based on the recommendation from Halcyon for the type of diving that I do.

HTH
Paul

ScubaKims once bubbled...
I wear a 7mil and sometimes a 7mil vest out here in SoCal ... I use the 36lb pioneer wing and find it gives more than enough lift. I've never tried the 27lb. I chose the 36lb based on the recommendation from Halcyon for the type of diving that I do.

HTH
Paul

Paul,

That's an excellent recommendation (although I don't think you meant it as such!). Call Halcyon or Extreme-exposure. They are easy to talk to and obviously know about their equipment. They'll tell you what size to wear for the type of diving that you do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom