What is your LDS and WHY? (Phoenix Area)

Dive shops

• All Wet Scuba

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • AquaBlue Sports

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • El Mar Diving Center

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Inland Water Divers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NDepth Scuba

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Ocean Planet Scuba

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Oasis Divers

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Paradise Scuba

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Saguaro Diving & Sports

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Scuba Sciences

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Scuba Specialties

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Sports Chalet

Votes: 8 9.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Please tell us what is your LDS and Why, votes are anonymous, mulitple shops can be selected, after all you may have more than one. NO BASHING OTHER SHOPS!. let's keep this thread civil. Don't focus on the why you left a shop or why you don't like shop X, but rather why your a customer at your current one(s).

Tell us why you choose to spend your time and money at this/these shops. Is it because of competitive gear prices, brand names, great customer service, location, training offerings, a particular instructor, quick service and repairs, trip offerings, sharing sea stories, the hot chick or dude behind the counter, etc.? Your reasons are your own, let us know why they receive your business. If you want, offer constructive suggestions to your shop(s) on how they can improve in your opinion and continue to be your personal money pit.. ahem LDS :wink: (j/k)

Please keep it positive and constructive!, as a suggestion try to steer clear of argumentative generalizations that can't be backed up (i.e. the best, safest, cheapest, etc.). Let your post reflect your personal knowledge and opinions and not heresay.

Let's let our LDSs know what we appreciate about them, what we expect as consumers, what we would like to see change and what they need to do (if anything) to keep us coming back.

-Garrett

P.S. My apologies to Tres Aquas Adventures and the Tuscon shops, I only had 12 options to work with, I listed in alphabetical order

My LDS is Scuba Sciences. I have been a certified diver for about a year and a half and have a little over 50 dives. I did about a month's worth of research(online, visiting stores, etc.) to get an overview of the industry before we started with open water classes. The reasons that I chose SS initially were the attention I received in the store, the website, the structure of course, the continuing education program and the hot bald guy behind the counter:D . I am currently enrolled in the DiveMaster program at Scuba Sciences and I think it a great program as evidenced by the quality of the DM's that are there.

I have had plenty of issues with Scuba Sciences over the past year and half, but have always been satisfied with how they have been handled. I am willing to pay a little more for gear, not a lot, because I am comfortable with the people there and know my problems will be resolved. All stores are going to have problems and unhappy customers from time to time, how these problems are handled is what is important to me.

Problems cannot be resolved until they are brought forward and I feel that once the staff at SS are aware of an issue, they do their best to handle it in the best way they can.

I am glad that this new thread has started, because being a new Scubaboard member, I'm not interested in bashing anyone or any store based on their opinions or beliefs. This is a great sport that we are all involved in, and we are all part of the same community, so I suggest that we all enjoy what makes this sport so much fun, DIVING!

Sorry for being so long winded.

Rob

Okay I'll go first...whoops second Welcome to the board Rob and thanks for the post :D

Scuba Specialties - Has demonstrated extrodinary customer service that I've been witness to, the staff if friendly and engaging. I buy my consumables get my air fills and rent the occassional tank from them, they know (from their computer) that this is all I have done so far, yet I am never treated poorly or pressured into buying anything more. I enjoy talking to Steven and Frankie about diving whether it be local, wreck diving in San Diego or a Fiji trip. They have scuba auctions occassionally and I had the good fortune of attending one last year and had a great time. They support local diving and have a great resource for local diving info/buddies and carpools to San Carlos at http://bbs.scubaspecialties.com . Suggestions...well being closed on Sundays* is just a pet peeve of mine, unless it is truly for religious beliefs and not just because of some antequated business practice. I wanted my tanks VIP'd and was told it would take almost a week, that's too long for a VIP, I had to go elsewhere because I needed them.

Sports Chalet - I generally go there on Sundays* to get fills if needed, and some of their sales/specials and closeouts on gear are phenominal, watch for them and take advantage. I can also pick up the California Diving News publication that I enjoy reading.

The shops below I didn't vote for because I've only been there once or haven't been a customer in over a year.

Scuba Sciences - Top notch OW class and instructor (James) my son and I both went through seperately. I did checkout dives in Catalina, fair trip price, nice charter on the Sand Dollar. Son did UR in Maui with no problems.

AquaBlue - Bought some weights on a Sunday*, when no one (close) was open. (pre Spots Chalet). I didnt' get raped on the price of the weights either :D

El Mar - Went to their annual sale a last year and got some great deals, it was crazy busy that day, but the showroom is huge with a large selection.

Some shop will have to get with the onLine retail, click-and-mortar business model if they want to compete for my high end gear purchases which currently go to an authorized dealer e-tailer. Sorry.

* See a trend here :wink:

-Garrett

Saguaro Sports in Mesa - Why? Free fills and they match internet pricing for starters. Plus Vince and the gang are always up for a conversation about diving/gear/classes/etc. regardless if I'm there to buy something or just get some fills. And their tent sale is great! My only wish -much like Garrett brought up- is they aren't open on Sundays.

Have used El Mar and Sport Chalet for some gear as well.

My choices:

Scuba Specialties - I like their helpful, friendly attitude, lack of sales pressure - I had to go find someone in back to sell me something once - and they're my Atomic dealer. They always seem to give a little extra, whether it's advice, free setup etc. each time I've made a purchase there.

Scuba Sciences - My original LDS. Although I have had small issues with them overall the experience over 20 yrs. has been positive. And I do have to say that on at least two occasions I've been sold something that I had no prior knowledge of that turned out to be highly regarded in the industry when I've later researched it. And for me, they're convenient when I need something fast. The only Zeagle dealer in town also.

El Mar - I've bought new gear at their spring sale in the past for a really good deal. I've witnessed their sales staff twice talk someone into a more reasonable purchase than the buyer wanted to make - at El Mar's expense. In my experience they also have the largest selection of gear in town, especially in BC's/Divebags upstairs.

Saguaro Diving & Sports...

I enjoy the people and the service....Top notch instructors and like booth said...they match pricing.... The free fills are great also!!!

My entire family(4 kids) have all taken classes at Scuba Sciences at we have all enjoyed our experiences there. We got a great deal on class and gear prices. The employees have all gone out of their way to be helpful and that is important to me and my family.

I chose Scuba Sciences because everyone in the store is very friendly and helpful. Both of my parents and my daughter have also taken classes here.
And as far as the trips they run- they are the ONLY dive shop in the state that has their own bus and drives you to the dive location. Every other dive shop makes you drive your own vehicle (if you break down along the way- you are S.O.L.!) This could be a major inconvience to everyone on the trip!!!
While other dive shops may not have such a high regard for other people in the industry they have NEVER said a derogatory thing about any other shop in the state. Futhermore, they have been in business for over 30 years!! That in itself should say something about the quality and caliber of this scuba shop.
If you don't believe me, check them out for yourself!!!!

Good Idea , A Thank you to the people who voted for Scuba Sciences Inc. Without you, our great customers ,we would not be here . :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom