Diving in poopy water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slingshot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, Capybara suggested the title, but it does roughly summarize the question. The Monterey County Health Department website (http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/health/beaches/) advises folks not to dive off Monterey beaches after it rains because of the increase in fecal coliform bacteria from sewer runoff. Does this ever dissuade you from diving? I know the vis sometimes isn't the best, but I haven't really given this much thought until i went to the department site via Chuck's Monterey diving website (nice site btw). I figured there was enough poop from the sea lions, but for some reason that didn't gross me out as much. All this aside, I'll probably be diving this weekend at Breakwater.

I have some friends who won't do it and say they get sick after rain diving. I've done it quite a few times and never seemed to have any problems, but I don't get sick much. I was in the water last Saturday in the rain and it was and awesome day; lots of fish out and I saw my first leopard shark.

Mark

Yeah, I heard from a dive shop that vis was 20-40 at Breakwater today, sounds nicer than I'd expect given recent rains. I've seen leopard sharks snorkeling off of La Jolla in San Diego, but have yet to see one diving up here.

I like poopy water: the kelp is always thicker by the sewage works outflow.

Fecal coliforms, believe it or not, have not been linked with GI illness. E. coli has and cryptosporidium for sure, but not fecals. Per USEPA ambient water quality support document. I can post a link tomorrow if anyone's actually interested.

I have heard that it is only an issue for 2-3 days after the first rain of the season, after that what will be washed away has been.

However, you shouldn't dive in the rain.
you might get wet!

I agree with rjack, fecal coliform, while inclusive of E. coli, is not the only, or even main issue, rather it is a marker of fecal contamination of water by fecal matter that could also indicate contamination with other infectious agents including bacteria and viruses. I'd imagine it is a bigger issue after the first seasonal rains. It also depends on whether the local sewage system, if overloaded by a large rain, diverts some raw sewage to offshore discharge. Will I get reprimanded if I say...very quietly...warhammer?

Went diving at the breakwater this morning, it was a beautiful sunny day in Monterey. Minimal swell, minimal winds. Probably 100 divers in and around the park. Water temps of about 54 degrees at about 45 feet, vis in shore was poor, opening up to about 15 feet further out beyond the bend. Lots of crabs, lemon nudis, and newbies, usual breakwater fare. No off smells in the water or on the gear. Nice dive, and no brown trout to report. Only stinker was the service at the breakwater deli...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom