Finally, a BC for Freedivers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad Carney

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Introducing the "Ascent" BC Belt, by Zeagle Systems.

See www.floridaskindiver.com for information, photos and video.

The new Spearfishing Magazine has a 2 page article and will be mailed any day. www.spearfishingmagazine.com

Here's a link to a Deeper Blue article as well. http://www.deeperblue.net/newsfull.php/1424

Finally, here is a column from the St Petersburg Times about many new products at DEMA, including the Ascent. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes...esc=Captain's+Corner+Series:+CAPTAIN'S+CORNER

Chad

It sure is a step in the right direction.. nice that someone is working on safety devices for us freedivers. I wonder though about the increased rate of ascent all the way to the surface from a freedive if you deployed it way down there.. I could see where it would be a nice lift assist for a buddy while dealing with a b.o.'d person at the surface and to help get him there for sure. I don't think a belt will keep a b.o.'d persons head above water..so it's definetly NOT a "I don't need a buddy anymore" type of device... I don't think they'll ever come up with that... but that'd be nice. I have heard it costs like $600 or so? ouch, but a small price to pay if it saves just one.

Have to see one sometime. Like most everything, can only get better and better as it gets used more and improved.

hmb,

The ascent rate question has come up before, by people that have never been diving with it of course. Less than a half dozen have been diving with it so far.

I have dove it extensively, and have found that the 11 lbs of lift the medium Ascent BC Belt provides brings me up at near a normal ascent rate, but without the effort of kicking most of the way up.

The buoyancy is offsetting the normal compression issues that make us kick our *** off from depth, but it's not like an unlimited class inflation device that rips to the surface.

The diver can also vent the BC on ascent just like a scuba diver controls ascents.

It won't be but a week or so before many divers will be reporting about diving with the Ascent.

I think they're going to like having the benefits of a BC while breath holding. I sure have!

Thanks for your comments!

Chad

Thanks for clarifying... sounds like it might be a good asset and better than my first impressions. I know there's been several times I wouldn't have minded a "free" ride back to the surface.

I'm sure there will be a market for it, somewhere. the same guys that buy spare air/etc.

very unstreamlined and for divers in this part of the world, a kelp magnet.

hmb,

I had an incident this summer with a big fish I speared with one of my reel guns, where I had to deal with limited line release to keep the amberjack from getting wrapping on the oil rig.

I managed to get to the surface and free the AJ from the rig leg, but then got dunked as deep as 10' four more times while fighting the fish and swimming back to the boat.

I boated the 41 lbs AJ but I had my doubts it was going to happen until the final moment.

The same day my buddy shot a big kingfish well away from the rig, and about 30' down and still trying unsuccessfully to ascend, he wisely chose to lose his gun and reel instead of his life. David Dazaut is the freediver diving the Ascent BC Belt in the video here:www.floridaskindiver.com (Unfortunately the day I shot the video the only fish on the wreck was a 150 lbs Goliath grouper, a protected species.)

We both would have loved to have had an Ascent BC belt on the rig that day!

Chad

It looks like a neat piece of equipment. However, it seems that a pressure guage should be added so that the diver can look down and see exactly how much air is in the tank before each dive.

Chad Carney:
Thanks for weighing in your opinions Amphibious.

I assume you've at least seen a Spare Air.

Chad

it is a step in the right direction as has been stated but I wonder how much use it will by serious freedivers, those that are in the highest risk group for SWB. what is the #1 motivating factor in freedivign gear design? Hydrodynamics. that belt is not anywhere close to hydrodynamic. so one has to weigh entanglement hazzard & Proformance loss if they decide to adopt such a safety device as part of their standard kit.

don't get grumpy just because someone is exposing weaknesses in design. thats how decent idea becomes a great peice of kit.

I think that a tank inflating BC is a great device for a freediver, that's why I've been using a FENZY for that purpose for many decades. Since they are now unavailable, this is likely a welcome addition. I can't wait to try one out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom