Packing Regs and Console Computers for Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

susan6868

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Leaving for Cayman in a few days and my original intent was to pack our regulators and console computers in carry on bags. Unfortunately, Spirit Air has very strict carry on baggage dimension rules and by the time I get them each in their own carry on, they're coiled up pretty tight and there isn't room for anything else.
Do you think the regs stand a good shot at gettting damaged if I pack them in a really solid ballistic duffle and pad them well in order to check them? Or are they better off coiled up like snakes and crammed into a carry on?
New at this, just wondering what most folks do....
Thanks
Susan

I prefer to take regs as hand luggage however they get packed as the camera has priority.
I use a nondescript hard case, Samsonite.
Fins to the outside then BC, then regs, then diveskin. Takes up one half of a medium case. The other side has more than enough room for my holiday clothes.
No labels or stickers, so no reason for anyone to open it.
They travel fine like this.
ps. remember to pack the string bag, photocopies of all docs e.g. cert card, passport, driving license.
pps. Not a bad idea to scan docs, zip them and then email to yourself.

I'd coil them up. If you have ever seen the boxes new regs come in the are VERY small. Coiling them up shouldn't hurt them. Plus, a couple sets of regs can add quite a bit of weight to checked luggage. Just be prepared to have your carry-on gone through by the TSA. Plus you get the piece of mind that if you checked luggage gets lost, at least you have your own life support equipment. You can always rent the rest.

What a fantastic idea to scan your docs and email them to yourself. That's thinking outside the box! As long as coiling them tight won't hurt them I'll do that. I can get the camera in if I lose the Pelican case. I don't really get the Pelican case, it's great, but not to travel with. Too heavy and cumbersome. I probably don't need to bring it if I can get the camera and strobe in the carry on. It's only a Sea and Sea MX-10- I think it will survive the trip without the "armoured" case.
Thanks a lot- I think this will work!

I'll keep the Pelican case if I ever need to mail the camera somewhere......

Carry your console aboard (big $$!) and get a real padded reg bag for your reg set, which you will then wrap in your BC and wetsuit. No problems. You'll also have enough room in that reg bag for a dive light and other small breakable odds and ends.

susan6868:
Leaving for Cayman in a few days and my original intent was to pack our regulators and console computers in carry on bags. Unfortunately, Spirit Air has very strict carry on baggage dimension rules and by the time I get them each in their own carry on, they're coiled up pretty tight and there isn't room for anything else.
Do you think the regs stand a good shot at gettting damaged if I pack them in a really solid ballistic duffle and pad them well in order to check them? Or are they better off coiled up like snakes and crammed into a carry on?
New at this, just wondering what most folks do....
Thanks
Susan

I flew to Cayman on Spirit, back in August, and had no problems. They're carry-on rules are no less restrictive than other airlines.

Do your regs and console fit in a regulator bag? If so, they should fit in under the seat in front of you and it will count like a purse, or small bag. You'll still be able to pack a regular carry-on that you put in the overhead bin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom