Why are LDS unhappy if we buy used eqpmt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squidster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The obvious of course is they do not sell you a new systems for 1-3000.00 .
But I think its a little harsh not wanting to service Equipment just because it did not come there store.
I dont have a problem with the idea that we should buy new stuff Through LDS.
Some of the things I have purchased used I plan to by new from my LDS.
I just dont like the guilt trip and break it off in you service charges mentality.
I think giving good service at a fair price will sell products at LDS.
Not all of us can afford the best systems,and we dont want to buy cheap gear that we will only want to replace in 6 months.
I purchased a good regulator from LDS,and am planning to buy a computer from him.
But I purchased a bc used because i did not want to buy a cheap bc.
Used bc is a good scuba pro , purchased it for alot less then a low qaulity one at LDS
So the question is Should I feel Bad When I take It in to be serviced?
and should not the LDS treat me Fair when it comes to service?
What is fair?

You haven't given clear indication of why you think they will be unhappy.

I moved across the country, and have all my stuff serviced at an LDS other than the one I bought it from. I've never heard a word about it from them, other than the fact that it takes longer to order some parts for brands they do not stock.

If some shop tried to GUILT me into buying new from them, I would find another store. Using craigslist to benefit from the "life-checklist" diver who buys a bunch of stuff gets certified then drops out after a few months, is just good sense for a discriminating long-term diver. You will assumedly be diving for many years, it would be foolish of them to alienate you.

An LDS that doesn't want to service used equipment or tries to make you feel bad about it is just being dumb.

Service is (or should be) their most profitable business area. They should be thrilled that you have brought in a used reg that has no warranty, and where every year they'll get to sell you a few dollars worth of o-rings and small bits of plastic for $50 or $75.

If they make you feel guilty, consider it "free information" about their business plans, and go somewhere else. If they're not happy to see you, they shouldn't be working on your stuff.

Whatever you buy, you should make sure it's a currently manufactured brand, and that there's someone in your area that does a lot of it. Although used stuff is usually fine, you don't want to bring it in and have someone work on it who only saw one like it 3 years ago.

Terry

squidster:
The obvious of course is they do not sell you a new systems for 1-3000.00 .
But I think its a little harsh not wanting to service Equipment just because it did not come there store.
I dont have a problem with the idea that we should buy new stuff Through LDS.
Some of the things I have purchased used I plan to by new from my LDS.
. . .
So the question is Should I feel Bad When I take It in to be serviced?
What is fair?

Over time, you may find that it is cost effective to service some items yourself. However, obtaining parts can be difficult and the learning curve can be potentially expensive if you break something. On the other hand, O rings are generic. It is also true that some equipment will go a long time without service. Years ago, I had trouble with the inflator/deflator valve on a BC. The buttons were sticking and this was my first BC having no other experience with them. It was 60 miles to the shop. Disassembling the plastic body the mechanism was very simple with only a couple of moving parts. Basically, just cleaned and lubed it. I replaced an O ring from a kit I got at JC Whitney. There was a small filter which was clogged. I placed it in acid and rinsed. Everything went back together and worked fine.

Fortunately my LDS has no problem with the used equipment I buy. Most of it is no longer manufactured so they don't lose a sale.

squidster:
What is fair?

Should they? Yes

Is it fair that they act this way? No

I personally think it's childish business practice.

It's part of doing business. People aren't going to buy everything from your store, and that's a simple fact of doing business.

I own a few retail stores (non-SCUBA), and it's ridiculous to think that my customers are going to buy everything from me. Would I still help them, and support them as customers - YES... WHY? To maintain a working relationship with the customer.

If this is the only Dive Shop in your area, that sucks for you. But still, I would tell them, "I am the customer, and I can take my business elsewhere (if possible) and I'll tell my friends what crappy treatment I got here, and recommend that other people go elsewhere too"

It's a ludicrous notion that you should have to purchase all of your gear NEW from the same LDS, and they should be supportive of you either way.

Back
Top Bottom