ORings-Viton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
I spoke with a shop+dive center. They told me the only dive with Nitrox these days, but their O-Rings and rubber parts age very fast, specialy at the high pressure parts.
I asked them why they didn't use Viton instead, as Viton can stay oxygen a lot better. They told me they would like but they have no source for Viton O-Rings. As I work for a hydraulic/pneumatic seal company I would like to ask the community of diver if there is really a need of Viton parts (not only ORings)??
Does it make sense to look into it and offer something or is that simply not true and there is no need or there are already strong companies on that?

Please advise!
Michael

Viton parts other than o-rings??

Most parts are either brass, stainless steel, teflon, EDPM, or not exposed to HP oxygen.

In Teflon (PTFE) and enforced Teflon (filled with a few percent glass fiber, so it gets stronger) is absolut no problem, we can do everything which is round.

EPDM if very small O-Ring sizes we have to check if we can do it or not, everything a bit bigger is also in EPDM no problem.

stainless steel, brass: we can't do ourself, but we can check some other companies, but that might get a bit difficult and need time. But maybe worth on parts which are nowhere available.

rjack321:
Viton parts other than o-rings??

Most parts are either brass, stainless steel, teflon, EDPM, or not exposed to HP oxygen.

try W.W. Grainger.

the K

Grainger is probably the largest industrial supply company in the U.S.

Go to "grainger.com".

the K

h90:
I spoke with a shop+dive center. They told me the only dive with Nitrox these days, but their O-Rings and rubber parts age very fast, specialy at the high pressure parts.
I asked them why they didn't use Viton instead, as Viton can stay oxygen a lot better. They told me they would like but they have no source for Viton O-Rings. As I work for a hydraulic/pneumatic seal company I would like to ask the community of diver if there is really a need of Viton parts (not only ORings)??
Does it make sense to look into it and offer something or is that simply not true and there is no need or there are already strong companies on that?

Please advise!
Michael

I just ordered 54 sets of rebuilt kits from Northeast Scuba Supply. All the pieces you need to rebuild a valve. It comes with all viton o-rings for each specific type of valve, Thermo, Dive Rite, Genesis, etc. Qucik, easy and cheap. They run about $3 a set. this may or may not be enough profit in it for you to get setup.

Jim Baldwin:
I just ordered 54 sets of rebuilt kits from Northeast Scuba Supply. All the pieces you need to rebuild a valve. It comes with all viton o-rings for each specific type of valve, Thermo, Dive Rite, Genesis, etc. Qucik, easy and cheap. They run about $3 a set. this may or may not be enough profit in it for you to get setup.

This does not sound like enough profit. Didn't know that these things are already that cheap.

Back
Top Bottom