• Martinique

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Puerto Rico

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Virgin Islands

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suzana

Reaction score
Hi, I am planning to go to the Caribbean on Holiday just before xmas. I am still quite a 'newbee' (14dives) but I am already completely 'sold'. So the plan is to go for a 'full on dive holiday' - i.e. don't really care about nightlife, tourist attractions etc (although do enjoy good restaurants).

My partner would love to see a shark and I would love to see some dolphins, we don't necessarily want to do something 'action packed' like shark feeding, but would just enjoy seeing some even if it from the boat.

We are also very keen on 'general' good diving, i.e. good reefs and lots of fish!!!

Although I don't mind them, wrecks are not very high on my list of priorities.

We where thinking that Bahamas could be a good option for the sharks/dolphins, however, sometimes I get the impression that it isn't as good as other places when it comes to general (reef) diving? Have I got it right here? If I am wrong, what part would you recommend (we have only got 1 week)? Also it seems reasonable cheap.

If we don't go to the Bahamas, where else is a good place for sharks, Dolphins, and good reefs?
We have got a low to midrange budget.

One final question, that really belongs somewhere else on this forum, I would consider a live-aboard but I do feel a bit sick on boats, do the 'pills' really work? And if so, any recommendations on live aboards in the Caribbean?

Hope you can help,
Suzana

Grand Bahama is the only place where you are guaranteed to see both, however, the dolphins are semi-captive atlantic bottlenose and it is an expensive dive (about $190) with UNEXSO. It is a generally fun island and less crowded than Nassau. I've run into a pod of spotted dolphins while on a dive trip, but did not see them during the dive.

Bimini is another option. One operator runs a swim with the wild spotted dolphins; however, I don't know if there are any shark dives.

If you absolutely have to have sharks and dolphins then I think that Nassau or Grand Bahama are the best bet. If you don't mind taking a chance that you might not see a shark or a dolphin, but probably will, then I would recommend Caicos Adventures in Provodenciales, Turks & Caicos. You will almost certainly see some pelagics (nurse sharks, reef sharks, eagle rays, etc.) and the wall diving is out of this world. It is a much better dive atomosphere and not such an "Americanized" environment. The restaurants are better, there is no crime and you get to drive on the left! I can't say this enough, the diving is much better as to visibility and marine life. I am going back to Turks & Caicos for the sixth time this February. I went to the Bahamas twice and probably would not go back again.

I have near 1000 dives, and have been to most of the places you've mentioned. In the Bahamas you can get a specific dive with dolphins, and sharks but it will not have the best of. I too will probably not go back to the Bahamas too quick, and I would say the Turks and Caicos would be a real treat for most and the best of. The Caymans would also be very good, as we have seen both dolphins and sharks as well as the best of, like sting ray city, or Bloody Bay Wall at Little Cayman. Bonaire is very good, but you most likely will not see any sharks or dolphins, or stingrays, but you will see more small fish than any other Carribean spot. The problem is each island is like a peach and a apple when you ask which is best.
Dive Safe, Caymaniac :)

i had a friend who went to turks, he said it didn't even qualify for 3rd world, if they hadn't of fished everyday they would have starved as the local supermarket was like mother hubard.

he said it was not cheap there either.

It depends on what you are looking for. We went for the great diving. The restaurants were killer. They offered everything from a cheeseburger in paradise to a five course gourmet's delight served under the stars. The rental villas offer a great range. There are also hotels and resorts that range from European style hostels to five star retreats of the rich and famous. It is "Third World" in the sense that there is not a lot of infrastructure. It is much, much, much better than the Dominican, Jamaica, St. Lucia, etc. in regards to poverty. There is practically no crime. The people are friendly. The major supermarket is fairly new and has been better stocked every year that we have gone (six years in a row). It now rates equal to an average supermarket in the States. The year after it first opened there was an ownership dispute that resulted in a lot of empty shelves. There are also many smaller convenience type stores. Once again we ate at restaurants for almost all of our meals except an occasional lunch. Having travelled throughout the Caribbean I can say that you will be hard pressed to find someplace "inexpensive". If you are truly pinching the pennies you are probably better off heading to an all-inclusive in Cozumel. The writer did not mention money so much as seeing some big marine life. Cozumel won't generally get you that. The Turks & Caicos gernerally will. If you check out some of the previous threads on this board having to do with the Turks & Caicos I think you will find that people generally agree that the facilities are better than average and the diving is on par with the best in the Caribbean (i.e.: Little Cayman and Cozumel).

Hello,

Turks and Caicos is great. We just returned about a month ago and was not disappoited. We dove with Caicos Adventures..
"FiFi" is the best. We saw nurse sharks, reef sharks, spotted manta's, dolphins and a whole aray of tropical fish. We stayed on Provo, The sands at grace bay. We used the local large supermarket and by no means starved. Can't wait to go back again.:mean:

DonnaS once bubbled...
Hello,

Turks and Caicos is great. We just returned about a month ago and was not disappoited. We dove with Caicos Adventures..
"FiFi" is the best. We saw nurse sharks, reef sharks, spotted manta's, dolphins and a whole aray of tropical fish. We stayed on Provo, The sands at grace bay. We used the local large supermarket and by no means starved. Can't wait to go back again.:mean:

I can't think of anywhere else that you could see some pelagics and enjoy some good restaurants and be fairly close to the states. Glad you had a great time. (':clapping:')

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom