USS San Diego & Oregon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone dived either of these wrecks? Which charter would you recommend? What are the average water temps during season (say May-August)?

Thanks

I dove the Oregon August 3rd. Surface temp was 72, bottom temp was 50 [max depth 113] and 52 [max depth 121].

I've only been on the Eagles Nest, and if you choose that boat, be sure to bring seasoned meat for the Surface Interval BBQ [I did just fine with my bluefish filets!]

BTW: The next day I dove the Stolt Dagali, which was definately my favorite wreck. [surface temp 75, bottom temp 59 and 55 respectively].

I would probably go with Capt Zero's boat the John Jack as my first choice. Secondly, the Wahoo. For a smaller boat you could try Dan's Bergs boat Wreck Valley. Temps from may-august would range from 50 F Surface/45F bottom in may to 75F Sufrace/55-60 bottom in august. It is never warm on the bottom up here, but doing your deco in 75 degree water is pretty nice.

Need any more info??

NJ Wreck Finder once bubbled...
I would probably go with Capt Zero's boat the John Jack as my first choice.

I've not dived on Capt. Zero's boat, but I've exchanged e-mails with him a few times. He's a good guy and definately worth choosing.

I dove the San Diego and the Oregon in May of this year temps were about 50 to 55f. I dove with the Wahoo and had a great time. The dives were alot of fun and both of them I was able to penetrate with no problem. I had no problems with the charter service. Vis was about 20-30ft.

Both great wrecks. The Oregon is the deeper of the two. A lot of stuff if you dig in the right place. For boats, I used to dive on the Eagles Nest. great boat, great food (BYOF BBQ) and crew. Ok, I am biased, used to crew on the boat :)

Eric

O-ring once bubbled...
Anyone dived either of these wrecks? Which charter would you recommend? What are the average water temps during season (say May-August)?

I dove both several times with Wahoo. I had great dives every time, but the boat was a bit crowded for my liking in August. The best trips I had were in September and early October 2 years ago. These wrecks are well worth the trip. The water can be cold on Oregon even in the summer - it was 45 on the bottom in July 2 years ago. it was pleasant above 70 ft though, so it was not bad on deco. The SD was warmer, like mid to high 50's.

I went to the oregon once with Eagle's Nest and strongly recommend that you have nothing to do with them. I won't go near them again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom