PDA

View Full Version : Splurge for the Oly 5050 or get 3040?

MikeSK
October 23rd, 2002, 03:23 PM
Still deciding between Canon s40 or an oly. I like the look of the 3040 and price is more or less the same except that the housing for the Oly is more expensive.

Was looking at the 5050 though. Way more expensive but I really only want to do this once. The 3040 is nice but only 3.2. The s40 of course is 4.0 and the 5050 is 5.0. If i'm not looking to make posters out of my pics, does this even matter? At most I'd maybe want to print out 8x10. Maybe.

Like i said, i really only want to do this one time only. I don't want to need/want another digi cam until the 10.0 comes out.

Any opinions? Of course, we really don't know the 5050 will perform UW, but there really isn't much reason based on specs and prior versions to think it won't be great is there?

Also, anyone know why the 4040 has been apparently discontued when they are still selling the 3040? I would think the 3040 would be put away before the other one.

Dee
October 23rd, 2002, 03:45 PM
MikeSK once bubbled...
Still deciding between Canon s40 or an oly. I like the look of the 3040 and price is more or less the same except that the housing for the Oly is more expensive.

Was looking at the 5050 though. Way more expensive but I really only want to do this once. The 3040 is nice but only 3.2. The s40 of course is 4.0 and the 5050 is 5.0. If i'm not looking to make posters out of my pics, does this even matter? At most I'd maybe want to print out 8x10. Maybe.

Like i said, i really only want to do this one time only. I don't want to need/want another digi cam until the 10.0 comes out.

If you only want 8x10's, the 3040 will work. I still think I'd go with at least 4.0, though. I don't know of anyone using the 3040 but quite a few are still using the 3080 and alot prefer it.

Any opinions? Of course, we really don't know the 5050 will perform UW, but there really isn't much reason based on specs and prior versions to think it won't be great is there?

There's a few things I don't like about the 5050. And I'd definately wait until it had proven itself underwater. Besides, I think it would be overkill for what you want so why spend the money.

Also, anyone know why the 4040 has been apparently discontued when they are still selling the 3040? I would think the 3040 would be put away before the other one.

That's the question we've all been asking! The 4000 is supposed to be the same camera, basically, but I there there are minor differences. To be honest, I can't keep them all straight!

Just because they have discontinued a model, doesn't mean it doesn't have a long life ahead of it. My 4040 was discontinued within 6 months of the purchase but I plan to keep it for a long time yet. Get what you can afford and add the accessories to make it's use more versatile such as a good strobe, extra memory cards and a good NiMH battery charger.

Those that try to keep the latest and greatest are chasing their tails when it comes to digital cameras!

MikeSK
October 23rd, 2002, 03:59 PM
That's true, thanks Dee :)

I might just go with the 4040 then. As long as there's no significant problems with it it should still be good for ages. One worry though is that if its discontinued, does that also include any warranty work should it ever be needed? I guess if i buy the extended warranty someone would still have to honor it.

I'd definetly like to get at least a 4.0. Even if i don't want/need bigger than 8x10 now, i might at some point. the 5050 is probably overkill, but something that i can grow into as it were.

Even the canon s40 is discontinued in favor of the s45. I guess i just need to put them all in hat and pick

What don't you like about the 5050 so far?

Dee
October 23rd, 2002, 04:23 PM
Like I said, it's hard to keep up with them all but if I remember correctly, (and I could be wrong) with the 5050, when using the macro feature it disables the internal flash. When you look at the Olympus website, the 5050 looks like the bees knees but using it for land pics vs. underwater, some of those things aren't an advantage.

The tilting monitor sounds neat but the only pics I have seen of it show it tilting down. I would need it to tilt up for u/w use.

So few have tried it underwater, I want to wait to hear more from actual u/w users before I make any final decisions myself. What I'm really waiting for, which may never come to pass, is a digital that is totally designed to be used underwater.

Finesse
October 23rd, 2002, 04:29 PM
Mike

I have the 3040 and it seems to do the job.....and 8x10 are well within the cameras abilities.

The issue you'll run into is that the 5050 housings are not out (well thats what I've heard) and they dont fit in the housings that accept the 20, 30 or 4040 series of Olympus cameras(sounds like the control buttons got moved around a bit). I have heard that the 4000 will fit the housings however.

There are a few shots on this site with the camera (Manta pics for the most part) and I'll get more up at some point....

Dee
October 23rd, 2002, 04:38 PM
Finesse, I thought you had the 3080?!? Proof positive the 3040 is as good as the rest!

Finesse
October 23rd, 2002, 04:51 PM
Dee ..... To tell you the truth I didnt even know about the 3080....

Mike ....What housing/housings are you looking at??

Finesse
October 23rd, 2002, 05:12 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid36/p232ba176dbb81c4383d9108827f2aa20/fd219c40.jpg

Dee
October 23rd, 2002, 05:43 PM
Hey, some of us would sacrifice a memory card for some of those manta shots! hehehe

scubatexastony
October 23rd, 2002, 06:08 PM
I don't know of anyone using the 3040

And she helped me decide to get it! Dat's otay, lil' buddy, I still love ya man.

Camera model: C3040Z
Date/Time: 2002:10:01 17:41:26
Resolution: 2048 x 1536
Flash used: Yes
Focal length: 7.3mm
Exposure time: 0.033 s (1/30)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv.: 100
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

http://www.allenhost.com/albums/album27/aas.sized.jpg

tony

AliKat
October 23rd, 2002, 08:12 PM
What housings for the Oly are you looking at? I just got the Oly 4040, and one of the reasons I got this over a Sony is because it had one of the less expensive housings. The PT 010 goes for about $250. The depth rating is not as great as the more expensive housings (98ft), but I've heard people have taken them deeper with no problems.

Dee
October 23rd, 2002, 09:50 PM
In a previous post I said:

I don't know of anyone using the C-3040 but quite a few are still using the 3080 and alot prefer it.

Where that came from I do not know! As Tony pointed out, I helped him decide on his C-3040 and I know many others who use it. The only thing I can think of is I was confusing the 8 with a 3 and was thinking of the C-3030.

So...I apologize for the confusion. I even confused myself!

Dee
October 23rd, 2002, 10:06 PM
MikeSK once bubbled...
That's true, thanks Dee :)
I might just go with the 4040 then. As long as there's no significant problems with it it should still be good for ages. One worry though is that if its discontinued, does that also include any warranty work should it ever be needed? I guess if i buy the extended warranty someone would still have to honor it.

Mike....Olympus will still honor their warranty on all Oly cameras, discontinued or not. If you buy an additional extended warranty from a merchant, you should check with them but I would certainly expect them to honor it. Like I said, maybe no more are being made but there are still alot out there on the market and in consumers hands.

MikeSK
October 24th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Thanks for all the input.

The only housing I've seen so far for the 5050 is on Alans site. Its not out yet of course and since the camera isn't even really out there's been no price decided.

http://www.underwaterdigital.net/olympus%20pt-015.htm

I do like the pics from the 3040 though. I would definetly wait for reviews in general and impressions from the UW community on the 5050 before getting it.

Argh! So many choices. My daughter will be getter her kids certified before i get one and she's only 12.

MikeSK
October 24th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Now I'm really confused on which to get. Looking at

http://store.yahoo.com/choiceonedigital/oldigcam.html

They have the 3040 at $424

The 4040 at $466

and the 4000 at $328

Obviously, of the top two i'd go with the 4040, difference is to slight to not. But what about the 4000? That $100 is a mem card or something.

xoomboy
October 24th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Obviously, of the top two i'd go with the 4040, difference is to slight to not. But what about the 4000? That $100 is a mem card or something.

Actually, there is a spot on Choice One's C-4000 page that states "Factory Refurbished. 90 day warranty", or something to that extent. Explains the extremely low price.

We just got our C-4000 through a friend in Chicago for $415. Takes great pics above water. The PT-010 from Allan Cabrera should be arriving today/tomorrow!

Matt

MikeSK
October 24th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Ah, thanks, missed that refurb part.

Takes care of that then :)

Dee
October 24th, 2002, 12:32 PM
A friend sent this to me last night in case I knew someone in the market. This link (http://inspcl.infospace.com/info/iclass?cat=gene&op=search&TQY=&QENH=1&QFDMA=0&QDMA=&QCQS=&QC=&QS=&QZ=&QO=&QREG=0&QVCAT=1&QVSCAT=3&QVSSCAT=8&_debug=&_DEFDMA=&_ADSRC=&_ADLISTING=&FEATITLE=&_ADV_SRC=&_ADV_USR=&_ADV_ST=2&SUBTITLE=Home+%26+Garden&TITLE=Home+%26+Garden&VTITLE=&pdbn=INSPGDATE&QW=Oly+C-4040&QY=2&qcond=0&QAL=2&QC=&QS=&QZ=&QO=&QY=2&QW=Oly+C-4040&XPREV=0&RN=0&MOREDEF=1&QENH=1) is to a used C-4040 for $400 and a new C-4000 for $280. I know nothing more than that...just passing it along.

MikeSK
October 24th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Thanks, I think i'll stick with new.

Pretty much decided on the 4040 next week and then the housing later in the month. Before next years trip I may get the strobe but at least another mem card

Anyone ever order from choice one digital? Or know a site thats trustworthy where i can get it for about the same price?

Crap, they also have the refurb note on the 4040. Darnit.

Dee
October 24th, 2002, 01:31 PM
I don't know of anyone who has ordered from Choice One but I also haven't heard anything bad about them either.

Their prices for Smartmedia cards are awfully high...128mg for $109? I've never paid more than $45 for 128mg on eBay.

Finesse
October 24th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Mike

Have you tried B & H photo...... for the camera......
Also they have alot of Ikelite gear......at very good prices!!!!

More housings and strobes

in Jacksonville ????? Abners....Bob is very knowledgeable and extremely competitive price wise

U/Wdigital for Olympus housings and lenses

MikeSK
October 24th, 2002, 01:54 PM
I looked at B&H just a bit ago. They don't have the 4040 at least on the site but they do list the 5050 for $800.

Lowest for the 4040 is like $524 non-refurb. Still not bad but Buy Digital lists the 3040 and 4040 for like the same price.

Housing is defintely uwdigital assuming i can pass paypal muster. Never used them before and heard somewhat disquieting things about them. Paypal i mean

Unless i get one of those ewa-marine housing baggie things

Finesse
October 24th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Yup just looked at B&H myself.....

Unless you're using it for snorkeling the Ewa Marine bag isnít a good idea.....they really are not meant for any real depth .... the bag compresses and the functions of the camera will not work.....I think on the website they are geared for weather proofing your camera. Whereas the Olympus housing is rated to 98ft and the Ikelite to 200 ft......I think the Light and Motion is the same...200ft

The C4000 looks like a good deal but it looks like it lacks manual controlÖ(thatís something I would definitely ask about) ...... something that will help a lot with U/W use....especially with external strobe use and Olympus's crazy preflash. The Auto Program mode works ok....but the ability to manually set the camera can really enhance the end results...

Oh yeah.....that is high for 128 cards......New 128 mb (olympus) are $60-65 on B&H.....you will want a few of them for vacation time!!!!!

MikeSK
October 24th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Ok, i think i've got it.

http://www.buydigitaldirect.com/viewitem.php?IndexID=221&RefTag=pricegrabber#

$549 for the camera and 69.99 for a 128 card. Free ground shipping which is fine with me. Later I'll get the recharable batteries or just buy them local. Any nicad rechargers will do right? Or I guess nihm replaced nicad. I'm so behind the times

That's for the 4040. It doesn't say refurb either. When i call it probably will be though :)

Since it will be ages before my daughter goes below 60, let alone 98, this should be good for quite awhile.

zboss
October 24th, 2002, 02:54 PM
As an amature photographer I always purchase Oly smart cards for one good reason... the support panoramas, the Oly software will not allow you to switch into panarma mode without them.

As a side note - the Oly stitching software is nearly flawless as long as you take a good picture.

clive francis
October 24th, 2002, 05:24 PM
break down:

the 2040, 3040 and 4040 have the super bright lens 1.8 (i think, haven't got my camer in front of me)

basically what other cameras would need a flash for this doesn't

the 4000 has 4.x i think but not sure, and a super macro mode, but in super macro mode the flash doesn't work (bit stupid this, but hey)

the 4000 has a 10x zoom which is way better than the others.

i have a 3040 check my site for pics, the new ones from the red sea are all with the 3040

the 5050 is the dogs nuts, and has all the memory formats covered where as the others are SM.

5050 is future proofed but i haven't seen any photo's from it yet.

go to a shop that has the 3040 or 4040 and 5050 set up a tripod and snap away and compare

kcanty
October 24th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Just FYI for ya'll,

www.japan-direct.com has all the olympus housings
and can get other japan market only items if you ask.
The prices and shipping are good. I used them to get
the housing for my D-40Z and got it in less than a
week. It's pretty funny to read the japanese manual
with the cartoons and such as well.

just a recommendation.

Kell

MikeSK
October 25th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Thanks Clive for the breakdown

So if i understand correctly, the main diff between the 3040 and the 4040 is that the first is 3.2 and the other is 4.1mp?

I haven't been able to find the 3040 for that much less really than the 4040. For some reason I really want a 4mp or better. Maybe so i'm not so far behind with the tech :)

Like your pics, but is there anything specific to recommend the 3040 over the 4040? I don't think I'll wait for the 5050, that is probably a little to much overkill for me just now.

clive francis
October 25th, 2002, 09:23 AM
yes,

there are some other little quirky things that they each do that the other doesn't but they are basically the same

Cherry
October 25th, 2002, 10:43 AM
While looking at the Oly web site a popup windo appeared warning of ONline retailers and chinese produced versions of their 30x0 and 40x0 lines of cameras. The suggested that one should be careful of extremely low online deals. dont know much about it at the time wasn't getting as serious as I am now in purchaseing a new camera. ( Wife on board campaign wasnt in full steam as of yet, winning now tho)

MikeSK
October 25th, 2002, 11:01 AM
The one i'm using gets fairly good reviews. I haven't called them yet to see if its grey market but its close to the same price many of them are.

clive francis
October 26th, 2002, 08:06 PM
try www.dpreview.com they have links to online digital sales

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1