BB and wing just came in today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeS

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
New Halcyon BB and 36# wing just came in today. Up till now I have dived with a Seaquest Balance, back inflated, weight integrated BC. It’s not that I don’t like it, it’s just that I want some adjustability and more stability. It seems like all dive gear is made for skinny people. I’m 5’ 11” and 205 pounds, I’ve never been called fat, or phat for that matter, but I’m certainly not skinny nor have I ever been. So anyway, I have a large BC where the straps fit well but this places the d-rings almost on top of my shoulders.

I was just certified in April but have taken AOW, Rescue, Nitrox and half of wreck (two of the dives were blown out). I dive every weekend that I can blackmail, cajole, threaten, beg, or otherwise convince someone else to go. I love the ocean but the quarry is closer and ten times better than not diving at all. I’m not DIR and probably never will be. I like to think for myself and enjoy trying out new equipment rather than being called names if my equipment doesn’t conform to someone else’s expectations. I believe that dive computers, shunned by DIR are the biggest advance in diving since the two stage, single hose regulator. With that said, I am adopting more and more of the DIR equipment configuration, not because it’s DIR but because I tried it and liked it. I can not understand anyone doing OOA drills with a swim to an up line, with both a long hose and a traditional octopus, not switching to a long hose, but I digress.

So I have invested $700 dollars, what are my expectations for this new and wondrous BB&W?

I don’t expect any miraculous improvement in buoyancy control, I firmly believe that you can achieve exquisite buoyancy control with rocks duct taped to your body and three ply trash bags for a bladder - if you understand the concepts and practice, practice, practice. In fact I expect to have to work to get back to the point I am now.

I do expect to be more firmly attached to the tank and that it will not be able to move around as it does sometimes now.

I do expect to be able to adjust the d-rings to wherever I want them rather than where the were comfortable for the skinny SeaQuest model.

I do expect that the doughnut shaped bladder will allow me to dump air without having to go vertical or risk air getting trapped on one side.

I do expect to be able to store my surface marker in the storage pack rather than storing it in a pocket.

I do expect to have a butt ring that I don’t have now, to attach my reel to.

I’ll let you know if my expectations are met as I go along.

I started adjusting the harness with the help of the great instructions at http://www.baue.org/faq/backplate_sizing.html recommended by roakey. Whoever said that they assembled and adjusted theirs in 15 minutes had a serious case of nitrogen narcosis or lives in a time warp. Not that I’m complaining, one of the biggest reasons I went with the BB&W is the adjustability, I really like the idea of being able to adjust the d-rings. But I can see why some people would get frustrated based on the expectations set by this board, so let me make it clear – there is some assembly required. It is at least a two person job to set up well and is going to take a lot longer than 15 minutes just to adjust the harness which does not include attaching the wings, tank bands. or storage pack.

Unfortunately the ACB is on back order so it looks my first foray to the quarry will be with a weight belt – two steps forward one step back.

Wish me luck. I’ll keep you posted.

Mike

Your expectations seem pretty reasonable :wink:

Remember that when adjusted properly it is fairly snug and you should be able to reach the top of the plate easily.

When are you planning on trying it out?

Good luck with that. I actually had a first last weekend. A guy on my boat spearfishing with BP/Wings. I think I have a source in Tampa who is going to hook me up with the gear to try it.

Mike:

Bring that new thing over to the quarry and I'll take another shot of you, this time in the dentist chair...or is it a barber chair? (folks, I am talking about taking a photograph here, don't get excited)

Congrats on the new equipment!
OK, I am headed for Key West now.....I will post some of the shots ...if they come out!
:)

by some weird co-incidence i got my BP/wings, harness, SS goodies and nuts and bolts yesterday too. i also bought a toolbox for good measure (i could never fit a toolbox in my pack while backpacking). thats probably where the similarities end cos all up i paid about US$150 for the whole setup, and the only thing second hand was the wing. the rest was all to the power of bulk buying between about 30 divers in Aus.
anyyyyway, while sweating to death in my wetsuit (stroke alert) and sizing the whole thing up - i had a couple issues with the shoulder straps...
i can reach behind and touch the top of the BP (thanks to the guy on the BAUE webiste with the big head - LOL its just the drysuit). i can also fit 2 fingers or so under the straps.
my issue is that once a tank is fitted, wont this pull the whole rig down?? and therefore make it impossible to touch the plate.
also if i try raise the BP by tightening the straps, wont this reduce the amount of room under the straps??
where is the happy medium??
another thing is the crotch strap...
i have bolted the sucker onto the bottom of the BP. now to attach it onto the waist strap, u thread it thru a non-serrated weight retainer, loop it around the waist strap and secure it by passing it back thru the weight retainer. my issue here is HTF do u thread the webbing through the retainer 4 times!!!!???? i struggle to thread it thru one way, never mind all the way back again. am i making sense?? do i need to get a bigger retainer??

any help graciously appreciated, except for the "take a DIRF course" advice.
thanks,
JP

oh and it only took me about 2 hours to struggle the thing together. not that anyone cares, but it takes me to 99 posts!!!

jamespitt once bubbled...
another thing is the crotch strap...any help graciously appreciated
James.... I'll tell you but it is going to cost you the other $450.

Don't use stiff weight belting for the crotch strap.

But if you must use the stiff stuff and are unwilling to send me the $450 then go ahead and struggle with it :D

(I used the non-serrated weightbelt retainer and it worked for me)

UP,
i have nice soft webbing for the crotch strap. its the same width and thickness as normal stiff webbing, but soft like a seatbelt.
the other $450 is going into more courses. there are some nice wrecks off sydney in the 45 - 52 msw range which i want to do.
i did use the non-serrated weight retainer and enlisted the help of my sleepy g/f but couldnt for the life of me thread it through again. so its a case of more grunt, less *****ing??!!

Jim

jamespitt once bubbled...
i have nice soft webbing for the crotch strap. its

i did use the non-serrated weight retainer and enlisted the help of my sleepy g/f but couldnt for the life of me thread it through again.
I have thick stiff manly weightbelt belting threaded through a non-serrated retainer!!!

For the soft stuff I use the serrated ones :D

UP,
will try the serrated one tonite. just got to tired last night and was told off for making a noise with all the steel clanging!
any comment on the BP height and shoulder straps.

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom