To Kaila Or NOT to Kaila - That is the question !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mattard

New
Reaction score
My wife and I have been going round shops and looking at web sites for the past couple of weeks to buy our BCDs.
It has boiled down to Kaila or Diva for her and Pro QD or Dragon for myself.

Just as we had practically decided to go for the kaila and Dragon , we came upon a review in the scubalab magazine dated Oct 2006.

In this review it said that the Kaila is great as comfort but the rear and the inflator / deflator valve do not release air quickly enough. This made the review give the bcd bad marks for ascent control and also shed doubts on the safety factor in the case of a stuck inflator push.

Both of us are now confused as the question comes automatically: does the dragon suffer from similar problems if it belongs to the same family as the Kaila ?

Can some users ( Kaila or Dragon ) give us their views please as I have to decide this week and I am not quite sure if I will stick to our decision to go for the Mares BCDs with the doubt that this review has casted in our minds !
Tks
Maurice

Usually with manufacturer the Low pressure inflators are the of the same on each BC. (ie Aqualung/Seaquest) but im not familiar with Mares enough to know. My guess would be if the Kaila had dumping problems, the Dragon will to!

Hi!
I've used my Kaila BCD for 9 dives now and have had no problems whatsoever!
I am a new diver and only have experience with rental gear before this, but I found it much easier to control my ascent without a line....Where I used to have to hold a line to keep myself from bobbing up and down.
Hope that helps!

Personally I'd choose Seaquest over Mares. My experience of Seaquest is really good and many owners of them think they are great. Not sure on the Inflator/deflator issue.

Back
Top Bottom