Talk about anything but local dive shops in Arizona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajcf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Tired of the banter that's been going on. Then this is the place for you. Talk about anything you want. Just not your dive shop.

I will start off .... Pros and Cons of Air Integrated Low Pressure Inflator Hoses.

Commercial Free Arizona Campaign. Send in your donations today ;-)

jcf

////

Pros

Secondary air source right in the triangle
Similar to the bungied in that you have to donate your primary

Cons

LPI hose can get caught up behind you and you will not have your secondary source immediately available
LPI now serves 2 purposes and if hose fails so does secondary air source
Wouldn't work with the way I'm trained to use a long hose and do an S-drill
It's not DIR (not that I'm DIR, but I thought I'd throw that one in for the DIR folks :D )

PS - do you really think this thread will remain commercial free? I'm usually an optimist, but.....

Dive-aholic:
Pros

do you really think this thread will remain commercial free? I'm usually an optimist, but.....

No, but it'll be fun to see who the first one is to break the OP request.
Sounds like you had a great rescue class. Lake conditions were great. People kept saying it was cold, but I didn't think so (dry suit). Made it to 105 feet. Dark, but good visibility.

One of my biggest issues with the Integrated Alt Air is that most divers aren't trained correctly to use them. They buy them with the right intentions (freeing up the hose layout), but don't realize how to ascend in an emergency. In the last Rescue class I did, I asked each student (who had that configuration) to do an alt-air ascent. Let's just say the results were disappointing -- and ... quickly corrected.

And, you are right, it's not a techie thing. I saw one on a rebreather the other day. Thought it looked pretty funny.

jcf

There's training for Integrated Alt Air?!?!? j/k

We did have a great Rescue class. We were all in dry suits and bp/w with long hose configs. It was nice and refreshing to see this. It also gave us a different twist on things. Short hose is fine, but I liked the chance to work with divers using the long hose config.

BTW, where were your diving that you got down to 105?

I'm not from AZ, and I only ever spent one night there, but I'll hijack...

What do all ya'll put in your ultrasonic cleaners to get your regs shiny? I just bought an ultrasonic cleaner, and I think I'll use Simple Green 1:10. Does anyone else notice that UCs aren't too effective on silicone grease or O2 lube?

I have a Sherwood shadow plus, and like it alot.
But I also have a pony bottle with a reg hooked to my right shoulder d ring, so it would be a busy d-ring with 2 regs on it if i had a standard octopus.

How about diving in Arizona in late January ?
I am going to be in Arizona for 4 days to see my Mom the end of Jan. and had hoped to get in a dive or two. I dive singles, a rec. diver -nothing fancy, just getting back into diving after a 20 year side trip called family and job.
Jim Breslin

easy, I don't use an ultrasonic cleaner. I soak and scrub.

Jim, what part of AZ are you going to be in? AZ is pretty big! There are a couple of locations to dive here. I'll be in Florida late January, but I can try to hook you up with someone to dive with out here.

The only must dive site is Lake Mead, more easily accessible from the Nevada side - the B29. It is restricted right now, so we'll have to wait. Of course the water level is dropping so much, we'll be able to hike to it by the time the restriction comes off. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom