Cheapest kit? Dubai, Oz, Thai, UK, or US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SiC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys.

Just wondering where on my travels the cheapest place is to pick up kit? BC, regs and computer. I'm a DM so it'd be pretty much sub-40m use.

Thinking about a Stinger maybe (fairly discrete, known brand, good back up support I would think?), but open to suggestions (got to be wrist mounted).

Also BC's - the Seaquest Pro is good I heard, though the plastic swivels on the shoulder straps on the male version look like they might snap???

RE reg's, not really thought about it much, but a DI friend recommends Apeks Legend?

And how come you never see many Cert's with the Titan reg here in the South Pacific? I heard it's a good solid reliable reg. Is it because there is a stigma in having the same gear as "rental"?

Finally, can I use my surfing wetsuit for diving? It's a Ripcurl 5mm.

All ideas/opinions/thoughts welcome :) I don't know if region affects warranty - i.e. you have to send it half way back around the world to get it fixed if it breaks?

Thanks in advance for any input, Si

Between the exchange rate (which if you are an American is fast approaching almost $2 per Pound Sterling) and the overall high price of things in the UK from my observation, I can tell you that the UK will *not* be the cheapest source.

Australia's dollar is much more competitive, but again my observations from visiting there show things to be more expensive than the US even after the exchange rate is figured in and their GST (sales tax) is deducted from the price, which is almost always included in price quotes.

I can't say about the other two countries as I've never been there.

In terms of warranty, yes it could very well affect the warranty. Some manufacturers will not honor warranties for products purchased outside of the user's home country.

"Finally, can I use my surfing wetsuit for diving? It's a Ripcurl 5mm"

Why not? The worst thing that happens is you try it once on a dive, it doesn't work so well, so you find you have to go with something different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom