To know or not to know...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arete

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have two conflicting thoughts when it comes to scuba gear... one part of me wants to pull all my gear down in order figure out exactly how it all works (bar the computer). I mean, it is supporting my life, and I do feel a little uneasy not knowing exactly how it is functioning and hence if something goes wrong with it exactly what the problem is and whether it's fixable or not.

Another part of me wants to leave it all alone and just keep it serviced. I mean it's preserving my life and I don't know how to pull it all down so I should leave it well alone.

Exactly how much is it sensible to know about the operation of your scuba gear and how much is it practical for a mechanically minded layperson to deal with before you really need a technician?

It's a good idea. You can take a class on how to actually repair/service you own gear (but not from your local shop). You can also buy a manual from oxyhacker on regulators. It's well worth the price.

Another option might be to ask the tech at your LDS if you can watch when he tears it down for service. You might offer him a few beers for the chance to watch, just be sure to give them to him after you're sure your regs work.

Also, like Walter pointed out, there are some non-destructive sources of information. Heck, I've seen some ads that break it down pretty thoroughly with cut away views.

In a nutshell, there's a big spring that closes a valve, while the air pressure in the tank forces it open. When you breathe, it imbalances the forces on either side and opens the valve.

I would advise against anything more complicated than changing a hose, but only because if you open anything up and something SEEMS different afterwards, the paranoia will consume you. :D

Arete:
I have two conflicting thoughts when it comes to scuba gear... one part of me wants to pull all my gear down in order figure out exactly how it all works (bar the computer). I mean, it is supporting my life, and I do feel a little uneasy not knowing exactly how it is functioning and hence if something goes wrong with it exactly what the problem is and whether it's fixable or not.

Another part of me wants to leave it all alone and just keep it serviced. I mean it's preserving my life and I don't know how to pull it all down so I should leave it well alone.

Exactly how much is it sensible to know about the operation of your scuba gear and how much is it practical for a mechanically minded layperson to deal with before you really need a technician?

Here's a REALLY good place to start:

http://www.airspeedpress.com/

If your worried about "preserving" your life then stay at home in the bed. If your not worried about preserving your life ride fast motorcycles with no helmet.

As to taking your gear down if I interpret that Aussie speak correctly that you mean to dissassemble the equipment to determine it's workings---let me ask this.

Do you have actual tools beyond a screwdriver, hammer, pliers and adjustable wrench? If so then proceed and have fun. If you take the computer apart and it makes sparks and then some smoke, that is bad, you will need a new one. N

PADI offers equipment specialty courses. It doesn't teach you how to servie your gear, but it gives you a greater knowledge of how it works than just looking at skematics. Also, if you can get in good with those guys, ask if you can go to the next repair clinic in your area. You have to pay for both, but if you want to know how your gear opperates, this is, in my opinion, the best way to go about it.
Just as an afterthought, I would suggest that you don't go and start breaking down your gear. In most cases, you will void your warranty, if you have one, and you really could damage something beyond simple repair.

Arete, been there, done that. Some regulators require special tools. Get the diagrams and parts lists before proceeding. Order a free catalog from Peter Built Co (scubatools.com). What I'm saying is that it is not a good idea to "fix" something if it is still working OK. Don't disassemble your stuff out of curiosity. Study the diagrams and be satisfied that you understand the theory of operation. When and if you decide to undertake repair or adjustment bear in mind that the metal parts are mostly soft brass and require a light touch. Don't over torque or clamp brass parts in an aggressive vice jaw. Use smooth jaw or soft insert for the jaw. An empty CO2 cartridge or bolt can be screwed into a regulator port and clamped into a vice. Inquire as to whether parts kits are available for your particular equipment. Adjustment of a balanced second stage can be tricky. Study the book. Some items like valves, for instance, are very simple. Again, they are brass. You may need a special tool to remove the knob. This looks like a slotted, flat blade screwdriver. Removal of the bonnet, stem and plug requires only normal tools. Usually, the only replacement parts are an O ring and copper washer. Sometimes, a kit with seat and plug is needed. Proceed at the right time but with caution.

Go with the airspeedpress link from Cavediver. If the book doesn't make sense, you know where you stand.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Coming from a motorsport background, where it's important to have at least enough knowledge to know whether or not that wierd feeling is potentially dangerous or not I've been a bit wary of the fact I wasn't entirely sure of the operation of my scuba gear, but then most divers I've bumped into seem to have little know how as well.

I'll do a bit or research and looking, thanks for the links.

Another thought is to get a cheap well used regulator as a cadaver so to speak and take it apart for study.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom