Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ironworker377

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm just received my OW and would like to know some info on Monterey. Do you guys dive wet or dry? I checked out the Bamboo Reef in Monterey and thinking about renting their gear and use their Dive master to show me around. Currently looking into getting my own gear and checked out some of the LDS in the east bay to checkout some of their gear. Do you guys know of a good LDS that I should check out. (good selection and prices)

Posted in the newbie area and they are telling me to try a BP/W before I invest in BCD. Do you know where I could try one before I buy my own set-up? Do any of you guys belong to any of the local dive clubs? If so what do you guys really do? I don't know any one else that dives and would like to save some money since paying for dive masters can add up.

Any advice would be appreciated

I dive wet I don't think Monterey gets that cold. But if you're a person that gets cold really easily then you may want to think about going dry. The best way to find out try renting a wet suit and se if you get cold.

As for getting you're own gear take your time read look over every item and see what works for you. If you do decide to go wet then I do suggest you get your own suit.

You didn't mention in this thread that you did your OW in Cancun. Monterey is
different. Getting a DM to do a tour with you and fill you in on Monterey is a very
good idea.

There's a list of dive clubs and LDSs and some Monterey info at
http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/ Aqua Tutus is in the east bay and is
a good bunch with a strong non-commercial continuing ed program.

I did a few hundred dives in Monterey in a wet suit, then got a dry suit. I would NEVER
go back to a wet suit. Even my old backup damp suit, AKA "The Sieve", is warmer than
diving wet. Almost all the every-weekend divers dive dry.

Do try a backplate and wing. Dunno who rents them, but try Any Water Sports in San
Jose. And go simple -- you don't need the fancy harness for them, just the single
strap. But the first order of business is your exposure suit so you don't have
variability in your buoyancy because you get a different suit each time.

I started diving Monterey a year ago with the 7mm I dove in San Diego. Most beach dives in the bay are ~50ish and a wetsuit is fine, last night I my computer recorded 55 at the Breakwater, which is almost bathwater here.

However, take a boat dive offshore or at Pt Lobos in February and you may find something in the 46-48 deg range. This is why I decided to go dry and now am so spoiled that I will probably dive a drysuit up to about 65-70 deg. It's very nice.

I tend to visit Aquarius Dive Shop because I live near it. I think Bamboo Reef is the best local shop and do not tend to like Monterey Bay very much, although I have heard that they are coming under new ownership and thus worth another look.

Also aquarious II at the breakwater is very easy when diving there.

Take care, Monterey is wonderful!
John

I teach in Santa Cruz and dive Monterey almost every weekend. If you havn't been in cold water before then Monterey is quite a treat, but go with a DM as conditions here get ticky at times.

Also, Aqua Safaris, in Santa Cruz, has a BP/W hanging from the shelf if you wanted to take a look, but definatly do your research before spending a dime.

Did my first dive in Monterey today at breakwater. Had some pretty nice swells today and vis was about 10 feet. Keith at bamboo reef was a pretty good DM and showed me the ropes to beach diving. Much harder then jumping off a boat and have 50 pounds of weight on you and waves pounding you.:confused: 7 mil farmer john felt ok in 53 degrees. How much colder would I expect it to be if I go any deeper? how much weight can i subtract if I go with one peice or dry suit?

you didn't really use 50 lbs did you? I dive a 7mm farmer john/jacket and used 26lbs last time and I am planning to drop that down to 24lbs this time.

I'm a pretty big guy at 6-4 and 280 pounds. I personally think I was over waighted and will be trying less next time. I'm thinking of buying a steel 120 to shed some of the weight and help me stay down longer since I'm a air hog :shakehead

Pick a depth where you want to be neutral at the end of the dive with an empty tank
and an empty BC (You'll get various answers on what that depth should be varying
between zero and 15 feet. I'm in the zero category). With a more or less empty
tank (say 500 PSI) get neutral at that depth. Have your buddy eyeball how much air
is in your BC. A pint's a pound the world around -- for every pint of air, you can take
a pound off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom