AL or SS backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

juls

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I dive SS backplate and wings in cold water. However, my warm water vacation in Coz is coming soon, and I wondered if I will be overweight using SS backplate. I will be doing most of the diving in 3 mm wet suit with AL80. Two dives will be using ST 95 or 120 tanks (with Living Underwater dive op), and two dives will be in cenotes. Last time in warm water I used 8 lbs of weight (with regular BC). Should I go ahead and order an AL backplate?

Thank you for your advice,

juls

I take my Alu when travelling just because it is easier to carry. Depending on the plate if use SS then you will take around 5lbs off your belt. You wont be over weighted. It is just a matter of trim. Hard to say without trying it but I'd hav though less on your bely and more on your back would give better trim in a thin wetsuit with an Alu tank.

IMO the SS plate would be fine with alum tanks. You may be overweighted with the steel tanks, but not enough to really be a problem...hard to say unless you actually try it. I would not buy an alum BP.

Phil

I dive mainly using 3 mm wetsuit, and a SS plate is ok for use with AL tanks. Don't need any additional weights.

For use with twins however, its a bit too -ve. Better to use an AL plate.

juls once bubbled...
Last time in warm water I used 8 lbs of weight (with regular BC). Should I go ahead and order an AL backplate?

I would say yes. I know I lost about 6 lbs going from my BC to my backplate [from the bouyancy differences between the BC and the wings/harness].

Do you have a STA?

juls once bubbled...
No, I have new Halcyon Pioneer wing and BP - I don't need STA.

Ok. So no STA, so you're looking at 3 lbs with the BP you have. [8 lbs from before - 5lb BP].

Next question, How much weight did you drop when you moved from your BC to your BP/Wings in your cold water diving? For example, I had 30#, I moved to the BP/Wings and I adjusted to 18# + 9#plate + 1.7#sta. I started dropping weight off my belt and it quickly got to 12#. That's how I arrived at the 6# bouyancy swing between my BC and the Wings.

So if you have similar numbers, that would put you 3 lbs overweight with the SS BP. So depending on the bouyancy swing, you could be anywhere from 3 lbs over to 3 lbs under. A AL BP would be 1 lb to 7 lbs under.

So, do you care if you run the chance of being a little overweight? Is the chance worth the cost of the AL plate?

I didn't dive with BC in cold water. I rented DiveRite Transpack and a BP/wings from the beginning - I wanted to see what I will like better since I needed a BC anyway. I liked BP/ wings (LOVED it) and bought my own. In dry suit in salt water I use 18lbs of weight but feel that I could go with less.

I guess the only way is to dive and see how I feel.

I have a SS backplate and a steel tank. If i dive with nothing on (Maybe just a pair of shorts) i am just alightly overweighed, but not enought to be of any concern.

And no weightbelt needed !!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom