Tobimory going, going, gone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Master Chief

Reaction score
I was wondering how many Ontario divers are fed up with the cold water and brocken up wrecks found in Tobimory. I had the chance to dive up there a few years back and was not to impressed, most of the wrecks I dove were brocken up and undescribable. I dove the Arabia it was OK! but nothing to brag about. I than dove the St Lawrence in the 1000 Island area, what a wonderfull area to dive the water is 71 degrees during the summer even at 200 feet. The wrecks were great still standing and looking the same way they were the day they went down. No rough water plenty of restraunts lodging at realistic price. The drive to Tobimory is horid and the rates for everything up there is a grab for merchants. I'm going to be do more diving up in Brockville this coming summer because the price and the general area is more hospitable.

Master Chief

wetman once bubbled...
Couldn't agree more. I find tobermory hardly worth the drive. Maybe it was great back in the day but now that the vis and temp are so fantastic in the kingston ->st. lawrence i cant imagine ever chosing tob. over the st. lawr. area.

steve

I agree completely! I think the Kingston area is far better than Tob.

Amen guys!
the kingston to picton area has been called "the graveyard of lake ontario" and with good reason!
This area has been overlooked for a long time! We have VERY well preserved wrecks, and reasonable prices on food, lodging, and charters!
I tried toby for the first time this summer and found it too crowded, and expensive for my tastes, and the wrecks were not impressive enough to justify the 5-7hr drive to get there.
(I may be biased though, I can see the Ida Walker from my front porch)
:scuba:

I like Brockville-Picton better than Toby for a number of reasons...

- water is warmer
- increadible wrecks with a variety of depths, ages, conditions
- shorter drive from Toronto
- other things to do (Fort Henry, Marine Museum, RCAP Museum in Trenton etc.)
- Broad choice of places to eat, drink, and stay

See you there!

Back
Top Bottom