Hurghada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red Sea Shadow:
Hurghada's sites are not very good and shallow. The best sites in Hurghada are accessible via liveaboards.

I recommend going to Dahab or Sharm instead.
:confused:What do you mean by shallow:confused:
50m + is easy altough not legal,but i've done some very good diving in Hurghada,and .
that is more than I can say for Sharm or dahab.

If you like day trips Hurghada is IMHO the place to be(been there for 15 times,sharm/dahab twice) you can do some wrack diving at Abu Nuhas and the Thisselgorm(long way out) some fine shark diving at Shabrur Umm Gamar and careless reef
they have beatyfull coral gardens,deep slopes great shallow diving,so some for everybody.And for me best of all back at the end of the day.

BTW The coralreefs are in raisonal good conditions nowaday's

have fun

300bar diver:
:confused:What do you mean by shallow:confused:
50m + is easy altough not legal,but i've done some very good diving in Hurghada,and .
that is more than I can say for Sharm or dahab.

If you like day trips Hurghada is IMHO the place to be(been there for 15 times,sharm/dahab twice) you can do some wrack diving at Abu Nuhas and the Thisselgorm(long way out) some fine shark diving at Shabrur Umm Gamar and careless reef
they have beatyfull coral gardens,deep slopes great shallow diving,so some for everybody.And for me best of all back at the end of the day.

BTW The coralreefs are in raisonal good conditions nowaday's

have fun
Comparing Hurghada to Sharm and Dahab is not fair.

Sharm and Dahab have world class sites that we all know by name. Hurghada's sites are not as good. The fact that you like Hurghada more is a personal preference.

Shallow means shallow!!! The majority of operators in Hurghada puts divers with intros on the same boat and they go to shallow sites.

Abu Nuhas and Thistlegorm are far from Hurghada and not accessible by daily boats. They require a mini safari (2 days).

Shabrur is nice. However, IMHO, it offers nothing more than Woodhouse in Tiran.

Asser,

I have done dayboats out to Abu Nuhas from Hurghada several times, no problems, with various companies, including Emperor and Divers' Lodge. In fact, it was easier to get to the wrecks on Abu Nuhas from Hurghada than Sharm, as it is a hell of a long way from Sharm.

And Giftun Drift can be an awesome dive, I've seen hammerheads and silvertips, along with grey reefs, several times.

I agree that the sites out of Sharm are better known (Straits of Tiran, Ras Mo, etc), but I would prefer to dive out of Hurghada than Dahab as I am more into wrecks and get bored with pretty reefs after a few days. The only reason I dive in Dahab is because I like the town itself and the atmosphere.

Mark

Mark,
I know Abu Nuhas is accessible by daily boats from Hurghada but there must be a sufficient number of divers in order to go. The same thing is diving the Dunraven from Sharm. Although it is only a few miles away from Ras Mohamed, no operator would go there unless there is a sufficient number. That's why I said that they require a mini safari; just to be sure.

You are right, Abu Nuhas is better from Hurghada. However, the Thistlegorm is better from Sharm. The Thistlegorm is now accessible via a daily speed boat from Sharm.

I know most people like wrecks :) It's personal preference. For me, it's always Dahab.

I did think it was a bit odd that you didn't know they do dayboats out to Abu Nuhas!!! It just threw me when you said 'it is not accessible by daily boats'. Yes, you are right, a minimum number is needed, but I have never had a trip when we didn't have enough to do it on a dayboat, given it is such a fab dive site.

I only do the Thistlegorm from a liveaboard these days, as you can then time your dives to get in when the dayboats are either leaving or just arriving, depending on the time of day. Night dives on the wreck rock!

All this talk of Egypt is making me long to go back... Oh, I am in two weeks!!! Hurrah! Will be out for a few days for Camel Dive Club's 20th anniversary party on the Roof Bar (need my fix of shisha and Sakara Gold!), so will be able to squeeze a couple of days cheeky diving in!

Mark

thank you guys, y'all are very helpful,
I am a guy that likes to have a peaceful dive vacation with an average depth of about 60' 20m dives, and i do love wreck diving as allot do. the reason i was thinking of Hurghada, was because i don't want to be in a place with too many people in it (a place where i can enjoy what i went there to do *dive*)
so if yall thing i am looking in the wrong location pleas enlighten me!!
thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom