Where to rent tanks/air and weights for a trip to Phoenix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBRES1

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok,
Part one
I just booked my airfare and rental car for a trip to see my mom this Jan 2007.
I will be in town from the 25 thru the 29 th of Jan, and wanted to get a few dives in.
My mom lives in Sun City Grande ( Suprise ) , so I am looking for a dive shop that will rent me tanks, air and some weights for the weekend.
Part two
I am also in need of some dive buddies for this trip. Any takers out there ?
Part Three
What do Arizona divers dive in during the month of January ? Do you dive wet or dry ?
I will be bringing a 7mm long john suit. 5 mm hood , boots, and gloves. Will this be warm enough for the lakes ?
Thanks, Jim Breslin

Jim, here's a list of the Phoenix shops:

Chandler

Sport Chalet
2650 E. Germann Rd.
Chandler, AZ 85249
(480) 899-9881
www.sportchalet.com

Phoenix

AquaBlue Sports
4230 E. Indian School Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85018
(602) 955-4120
www.aquablue.com

NDepth Scuba
3145 E. Chandler Blvd. #102
Phoenix, AZ 85048
(480) 706-6946
www.ndepthscuba.com

Oasis Divers
4015 E. Bell Rd. #134
Phoenix, AZ 85032
(602) 992-3093
www.azdivers.com

Paradise Scuba
13637 N. Tatum Blvd. #17
Phoenix, AZ 85032
(602) 867-5972
www.paradise-scuba.com

Scuba Sciences Inc.
8502 N. Black Canyon Hwy.
Phoenix, AZ 85051
(602) 995-5926
www.scubasciences.com

Scuba Sciences Inc.
2348 N. 7th St.
Phoenix, AZ 85006
(602) 253-6622
www.scubasciences.com

Sport Chalet
2501 W. Happy Valley Rd. #30
Phoenix, AZ 85027
(623) 869-6593
www.sportchalet.com

Scuba Specialties
4139 W. Bell Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85053
(602) 504-1112
www.scubaspecialties.com

Tres Aquas Adventures
731 E. Union Hills Dr.
Suite 7
Phoenix, AZ 85024
(602) 494-1010
www.tresaquas.com

Goodyear

Inland Water Divers
1660 N. Dysart Rd.
Goodyear, AZ 85338
(623) 882-9060
www.inlandwaterdivers.com

Mesa

El Mar Diving Center
2245 W. Broadway
Mesa, AZ 85202
(480) 833-2971
www.elmar.com

Saguaro Diving & Sports
908 E. Impala Ave.
Mesa, AZ 85201
(480) 507-3988
www.saguarosports.com

Scottsdale

Sport Chalet
8690 E. Raintree Dr.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
(480) 948-3236
www.sportchalet.com

Ultimate Dive & Travel
15001 N. Hayden Rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
(480) 607-5071
www.ultimatediveandtravel.com

Tempe

All Wet Scuba
1006 E. Warner Rd. #112
Tempe, AZ 85284
(480) 491-5357
www.allwetscuba.com

Ocean Planet Scuba
107 E. Broadway Rd.
Tempe, AZ 85282
(480) 557-8265
www.oceanplanetscuba.com

I think the closest shop to your Mom's and Lake Pleasant will be either Scuba Specialties or Sport Chalet. I don't know Scuba Specialties rates, but Sport Chalet rents tanks for $10/day, you can pick up when they open and return before they close the next day. Unlimited fills while you have them. They are about 1/2 from the lake, though, and do reeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaalllllllly slow fills, so it can take about 2 hours water to water.

I'm out of town while you're here, but I'm sure there will be someone here who will go out and dive with you, at least on the 28th or 29th.

Water temp will be in the high 50s-low 60s at that time. I dive dry. Many dive wet. Even more don't dive at all! Air temp will probably be in the 70s-80s during the day. It was in the mid-80s Thanksgiving!

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

JBRES1:
Ok,
Part one
I just booked my airfare and rental car for a trip to see my mom this Jan 2007.
I will be in town from the 25 thru the 29 th of Jan, and wanted to get a few dives in.
My mom lives in Sun City Grande ( Suprise ) , so I am looking for a dive shop that will rent me tanks, air and some weights for the weekend.
Part two
I am also in need of some dive buddies for this trip. Any takers out there ?
Part Three
What do Arizona divers dive in during the month of January ? Do you dive wet or dry ?
I will be bringing a 7mm long john suit. 5 mm hood , boots, and gloves. Will this be warm enough for the lakes ?
Thanks, Jim Breslin

A good place to find lake buddies - http://bbs.scubaspecialties.com

January and February are the coldest months in the lake. Those who can dive dry, do so. I would plan on low 50s, high 40s Can be done wet as many people do.

Don't know my January schedule yet. But, If I am in town ... I would be game for a dive. PM me as time get's closer.

jcf

Jim,

Revised, see post #10 and 11.

Scuba Specialties would be a good option, it's on Bell Rd. which is the south end of Sun City Grande (more or less) From there you could either drive east to I-17 and north and west to the lake at the Lake Pleasant turnoff or double back on Bell Rd. to 99th Ave. and drive north right to the lake. I'm pretty sure that you could just pickup tanks and go.

It's probably a 15min. drive back into Phoenix depending on which side of SC Grande your mom lives in, there's a lot of traffic in that area and Phoenix is always about a decade behind in their traffic planning.
What do Arizona divers dive in during the month of January ?
I go to the Caribbean. :D

P.S. I'm from Riverside(by the zoo) and I know people in Naperville.

Dive-aholic
Thanks for the list of shops.

Anybody know if any shops rent 100's or 120's ?
Jim Breslin

JBRES1:
Steve,
My sister is a teacher at RBHS, and has been for the past 20 years.

Jim Breslin
My Alma Mater - well sort of, I went there two years till we moved here. But more like 30 yrs. ago.

Go Bulldogs!! Right?

Welcome to Phoenix, Chicagoland's biggest, most western suburb. My godparents live in Riverside, my parents are from the west side and Brandon & I lived a block north of merchandise mart till we moved here 2 years ago. We'd love to dive some of the wrecks in Lake Michigan when I get more experience (and a thicker skin for cold water and much, much more gear to do it with)

We'll be around in January and may be game for diving with you Jim.

I grew up in Naperville- or at least srarted growing up there...:D

Gentlemen,

That Sports Chalet is so out of the way of the lake when driving from West of 99th Ave (turns into Lake Pleasant Rd. ends right at the lake). It's only about a 10 mi. RT detour down Bell Rd. to Scuba Specialties. Might call Inland Water Divers in Goodyear as an alternative as well, but I've never been to that shop.

Jim, FWIW I dive a 7mm, but I don't have a drysuit so it's not an option :D. I'll be around most likely, give me a shout as it gets closer. Don't know of anyone who rents larger capacity tanks, but I haven't really inquired either.

-Garrett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom