atmos ai parts and software issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

I finally got to dive my Atmos AI in Anguilla this past week and loved it. My father-in-law has a new Suunto Cobra and I'm still happy I choose the Atmos AI - it's a great computer. I have one PC software issue and one question:

- using the latest software (2.1.0) I noticed that the dive profile does not include PSI information for each sample period? It would also be nice to display SAC rate per sample period and a graphic display on the unit...also have a play button so that you don't have to click through each sample to replay the dive. The Suunto Dive Manger does all this and I really like it for that reason. BTW, my computer's firmware is rev 2A.

- I scratched up my display protector pretty bad as well as the black trim piece around it. I know the protector can be ordered and replaced easily, how about the trim piece?

Cheers

I hate to reply to myself, but I called Aeris.

- Only the Elite T3 (and maybe Epic) will log the air pressure remaining and download the the Aeris Computer Interface. (That stinks...it's one of the reasons I bought the Atmos AI -- I have an air integrated computer that doesn't log air remaining for each sample period). The Suunto Cobra does this...

- There is no way to update the firmware, other than replacing the computer.

Oh well...

Cheers

Awhile back I downloaded the new 2.x Beta for my Aeris AI and it includes the tank pressure and SAC rates. It might still be in the testing phase and not ready for public release yet, but have faith, it'll be available eventually. :wink:

To clarify, my Ai with the 2.1.0 software for the PC does log start and end pressures as well as calculate SAC rate. What it doesn't do is log the air remaining per sample period (which would allow a running calculation of SAC rate per sample period). I expected this feature since the software had the fields, but it appears the Ai just doesn't log the data....

Cheers

It is true that only the latest generation products (Epic and Elite T3) store pressure at each sampling point.

As for the scratches on your computer - as you said, the lens protector is an easy fix - the bezel (black piece) may only be replaced by the factory with a complete service.

Revision 2A is most current. When a computer comes to the factory for service, it is replaced with a refurbished unit meeting all current hardware and software production standards - new sensors, new o-rings, lcd display, lens - the goes on. Cost of this service varies a bit by model - in your case, the ATMOS ai complete service is $160.

FWIW,

I've done some research and have an update...

The Cobra DOES NOT log air pressure at each sample period either, it is calculated by the Dive Manager software as described below. So the AI is not missing functionality the Cobra has, we just need the Aeris Computer Interface updated to do the same (and please show a graphic displaying the unit too...). Consider this a feature request!
--------------

SAC calculation method
To calculate Surface Air Consumption (SAC), Suunto Dive Manager first determines the average depth of the dive. It is the average of all depth reading shown on the depth graph in the dive log entry.

It next determines the total amount of air used on the dive. Dive Manager uses information you provide about cylinder size and about pressure gauge readings. Enter this information on the Air consumption tab in the properties window. Dive Manager then calculates the total volume of air used for the dive.

Dive Manager then determines the volume of gas used per minute and adjusts the result to sea level from the dive's average depth. Finally, it adjusts the result from ambient water temperature to zero degrees Celsius.

The result is a volume of gas per minute at Standard Temperature and Pressure (STP). Because Dive Manager uses volumes at STP, you can directly compare SAC numbers from one dive to another, regardless of depth and water temperature. Dive Manager reports SAC in metric or imperial units. Metric units are Standard Liters per Minute (SLM), and imperial units are Standard Cubic Feet per Minute (SCFM).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom