Honest Answer only: What DONT You like about the BP/Wings Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
Please post honest answers only, obviously nothing is Perfect and we non BP/WINGS users just like to hear about some complaints or comments about short coming of a BP/WING.

We all heard about the wonderful features and advantages of BP/WINGS setup.

Please let us know WHAT YOU DONT LIKE and the disadvantages of your BP/WINGS setup.

Thank you :)

Only thing I didn't (as opposed to don't) like about my rig was the effort involved in getting the fit adjusted properly. I did it on my own without assistance from another backplate user, and it took some time and a few dives to get it fitted correctly. Now it's adjusted though, I don't even think about it - just slip it on and go diving!

I'm yet to work out the trim for photography however - I'm always head heavy. Could be as simple as swapping out my steel tank for an aluminum one, and using more weight on the belt.

The DMs always think I know what I'm doing, and everybody thinks I'm a loony caver.

:)

Peter Doege

I just recently got a bp/wing and the only thing I miss is pockets. The pockets I had on my old bc were quite large and were used to collect trash throughout the dive. What I do now is carry my catch bag reguardless of whether I am going for bugs or not. Trash can then be put in there, it's just not quite as convenient as it used to be. Do I miss them? Yes, but there are options available (catch bag, pocket on exposure suit, etc.) So far that is the only issue I have come across.

Nothing. Okay, maybe the color:D

And I don't get to buy all new equipment when the old stuff goes out of style.

Almost forgot. I miss the hugs I get when you inflate a jacket BC. (Did get a little annoying when she wouldn't let go, though!).

It is my first BC but...

It is exceptionally comforatable except sometimes, out of the water while wearing a think exposure suit, and not carrying a lift device, the wing nuts will jab me in my back a bit... :rolleyes:

You see I lack much in the way of natural insulation and padding.

Of course, since I'm only diving a single tank I could remove them but I really only notice it on longer walks.

S_G,

Just cut the threads back until they don't touch you. It's not good for your wetsuit or drysuit either. They only have to be long enough to grab the wingnut, and not much more.

I made my own bolt/nut setup on my first set of doubles. The bolt was WAY too long and was stabbing me in the back! Got the old hacksaw out and solved that problem....

sillygrendel once bubbled...
It is my first BC but...

It is exceptionally comforatable except sometimes, out of the water while wearing a think exposure suit, and not carrying a lift device, the wing nuts will jab me in my back a bit... :rolleyes:

You see I lack much in the way of natural insulation and padding.

Of course, since I'm only diving a single tank I could remove them but I really only notice it on longer walks.

Just don't mess up the threads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom