Diving in New Brunswick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andre14

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Brand0n:
Im a Newfy living in Fredericton.... well for a few more weeks anyways. haven't done any scuba here YET but i hope to before i leave, iv dove the st john river many of times doing work on the maqtaqwack dam and bunch of other fresh water diving around here using surface supplied. Any spots worth checking out before i leave?

I have to say that I'm very ignorant about diving in the Saint John River. As I mentionned in another thread, I do most of my diving in the Bay of Fundy.

I strongly recommend Deer Island Point. You need to coordinate your diving there according to the tide tables, as there's a lot of current. The Point is easily done at high slack tide. There's a spectacular wall covered with sea anemones, sea potatos, various sponges, sea cucumbers, crabs, lobsters, wolf fishes, etc. Customs House beach can be don at slack low tide, with another very nice wall.

Other shore dives include the three coves at Beaver Harbour. Beaver Harbour is not a memorable site, except for the third cove. However, it's an easy site that requires minimal planning. The only hazards include not keeping your compass bearing while navigating around, and exertion from walking on the beach at low tide.

Another passable site is Wallace Cove, next to the Grand Manan ferry terminal, in Blacks Harbour. There's some nice little rock walls to follow along with some interesting marine life. As for Beaver Harbour, hazards include not keeping your compass bearing while navigating around, exertion from walking on the beach at low tide, plus stirring up the bottom (the bottom is very silty).

If you wish to know when people are going out for a splash, you can join NB Divers.

Cheers!

-André in Fredericton

Back
Top Bottom