PDA

View Full Version : Nudibranch defintion

Crawl79
November 27th, 2006, 01:39 AM
I know I could find the answer with google but I thought someone here might be able to give me a little background on these beautiful creatures.
So what is a nudibranch, where do they live how many different kinds, anything that you know about them that might interest others.
Thanks

Robert Phillips
November 27th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Nudibranchs are an order of Opisthobranch which are a subclass that belongs to the class Gastropoda in the Phylum Mollusca.
From "Eastern Pacific Nudibranchs: A Guide to the Opisthobranchs from Alaska to Central America" David Berhens and Alicia Hermosillo:
Order Nudibranchia... "True sea slugs, they are set aside from the other orders by the absence of a shell in the adult form. This order is by far the largest of the subclass Opisthobranchia in the world containing over 120 described species on this coast" (West coast)

Berhens is a great source for information on these beautiful slugs and the above referenced book is a great resource for identifying species out here in California.

They live in pretty much every ocean, the difficulty is in finding them when you're there.:D
Robb

alcina
November 27th, 2006, 02:57 AM
For all you ever wanted to know and more
www.seaslugforum.net

Enjoy :)

Crawl79
November 27th, 2006, 03:20 AM
thanks, this will keep me entertained for hours if not days.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1