Do you use a chest strap w/BP&W or not, and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT2

Reaction score
I have noticed that about half of the people I have seen wearing a BP/wing setup are using a chest strap and the other half don't. I just ordered a Halcyon Pioneer 36# package deal and I notice that it does not come with a chest strap, could some of you please comment on why you do or don't like the chest strap.

Don't need a chest strap, therefore I don't wear one. Some divers swear that they need them.

Steven

I wore one at first when i got my BP but i noticed it just restricts my breathing and makes the experience less comfortable. So i cut the thing off :) much happier now

Andy

I didn't even know they made a harness w/ a chest strap.

You definately don't need it. It's not coming off by accident!!

A friend (and top notch well known cave instructor) sometimes rigs one of quicklinks. Not needed as part of the harness, but he attaches special gear to it.
There's certainly no need for one as part of the harness's basic construction.
Rick

Thaks for the input guys, I guess that's why the Halcyon rig doesn't come with one huh?

don't need a chest strap anymore.

used to use a chest strap many moons ago - had me a zeagle concept. in fact, i had to use it. i am not 'V' shaped, rather hawkeye pierce-like - narrow shoulders with big hips. the chest strap kept the bc from slipping off my shoulder, felt more snug, etc.

the bp/backplate is a much better fit, so i am not using it anymore.

The first time you wear a properly adjusted harness, you'll understand.

I had the same question when I bought mine a few months ago(my old jacket BC had a chest strap). After having my harness adjusted during DIRF....it feels 110% secure. Adding a chest strap now would just make the rig feel more constrictive.

I found with a single piece harness. ie DIR Halcyon style, I get sore under my arms if I am doing lots of diving.

I have just made myself a new harness, very similar to the diverite one:

http://www.diverite.com/products/bcd/plates.htm

Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it does feel very comfortable above water fully kitted up. SHould have a chance to use it next weekend going for a weekend trip and doing 8 or so dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom