Buying SCUBA gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snielson

New
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm a newbie and looking to buy my first set of scuba gear. What are the pros and cons of buying your gear via online retailers (LiesurePro for example) vs. a local shop? I'm finding that the price difference is *huge*. I like to support the local guys whenever possible, but I'm made of money! Any comments/advice? -thanks

Local dive shops will usually give a hug discount if you buy everything together!! Now in terms of quality, its all the same, but most companies won't allow online selling, which means stuff you buy online will NOT have warrenty, and the question whether you are willing to take that risk. Have a look at the prices on the web, and take that with you to the LDS, most will come close to those prices and give you the warrenty too!

snielson:
Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm a newbie and looking to buy my first set of scuba gear. What are the pros and cons of buying your gear via online retailers (LeisurePro for example) vs. a local shop? I'm finding that the price difference is *huge*. I like to support the local guys whenever possible, but I'm made of money! Any comments/advice? -thanks

Fit is crucial to some Scuba gear such as BCs, Masks, wet suits, booties and fins.

These would probably best bought at your LDS where you can try them on.

Regulators have to be serviced every year (every 2 years or 300 dives for Atomic). I would recommend getting the regulator at your LDS.

I would check out the prices on the Internet as a point of comparison for items you are considering buying at your LDS. Ask the LDS if they can do something relative to the price.

You also need to consider that LeisurePro does not offer manufacturer's warranty on some brands such as ScubaPro (they offer their own warranty in its place).

I have purchased items such as dive lights, Atomic bio-filters and other items from LeisurePro and have had no problems. I receive the manufacturer's warranty for all these items.

I agree with ronbeau. you should go and try these things on at the LDS first and then you can decide if you want to order offline or not. I strongly reccomend that you buy your life support equipment at the lds so that you can get the warranty and than you can trust it came from good hands. Think about it and good luck.

Online stores can't fill your tanks, sit around and talk shop, give advice on local dive conditions, or trouble shoot your immediate needs.

Support your LDS. Because I have been loyal to mine, over the past 15 years, I can often get prices better than online prices and I am supporting my LDS. Price isn't the only consideration. Pro-rate out the savings that seems like a huge deal now over the life of the equipment and you will find that it isn't really that big of a savings. Now figure in all that stuff that the LDS can offer that your online dealer can't and try to put a price on that.

Tim
LDS supporter and proud of it.

Very true! it is a good time to sit around and have your questions answered by a human and not a machine!

Be an informed consumer in whatever you do. Research your purchases and determine where the value lies in your purchase. If you dive shop supports your diving it may be worth giving them your business, even if the cost is slightly more. If they don't support your needs and diving vote with your wallet.

Brent - Local dive shop owner -

Check out the LDS they can make some good deals sometimes especially if you start talking with them about travel with them and gear at the same time. Also you can try www.scuba.com they ARE an authorized dealer for what they sell and pretty good pricing on some things.

But be cautioned when buying online make sure that you buy stuff that you can get parts and service through a LDS other wise you may have to deal with sending it off to the Manufacturer and that can be a pain.

Saskia:
Local dive shops will usually give a hug discount if you buy everything together!! Now in terms of quality, its all the same, but most companies won't allow online selling, which means stuff you buy online will NOT have warrenty, and the question whether you are willing to take that risk. Have a look at the prices on the web, and take that with you to the LDS, most will come close to those prices and give you the warrenty too!

Some LDSs will come close to matching price, but not all will. I am willing to pay for the service I get at an LDS if they aren't charging 2x the cost of an online shop. And everything I've bought from online shops has been warrantied. I buy from shops that are allowed to sell what they sell online - ScubaToys, TDL, scuba.com. Even LP provides their own warranty on everything they sell.

Like I said, I'm willing to pay a little extra for service - $100. But I haven't found service that's worth $500 yet.

BTW, I've physically been to ScubaToys, TDL, and LP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom