CA Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sfgirl

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I moved out here from the East Coast and haven't been able to dive into the Northern California waters yet. My thickest suit is a 5mm, so I feel equipped, but I am REALLY missing getting wet (it has been over a year!). Any advice on how to transition into the California dive scene? And, is there any good diving in January? I am looking to take a local trip (either northern or southern CA) during that month and was wondering if there was somewhere suitable for that time of year.

Thanks for the help & advice!

I'll probably get some arguments from some hard core cold water people, but IMHO, a 5mm is no where near thick enough. 7mm with a hooded vest is warmer, but a drysuit is best. It's worth all of the trouble though, as Monterey is world class diving with plenty of color and critters, especially if you go south to Carmel or Big Sur.

Hit me up, or one of the other locals when you're ready to go. One of us will dive with you.

I'm in. I do agree with Dannobee though. 5mm is to thin. I have a drysuit as well and I love it! Worth every single penny.

I am new, just out of OW.. but if you are into a newbee tagging along for a some Diving in Monetary (would be willing to go to SoCal too) in January I am really looking to get some more experience in.

I agree about the 5mm being too thin -- I was certified in Monterey in a 7mm and was still freezing after being in there about 20 minutes!

Also, my buddy and I are going on a January 14 dive on the Cypress Sea: http://www.cypresscharters.com/. Technically our local dive shop is putting it on, but they're a good operation out there if you want to do some boat diving. When I was getting certified, my boyfriend went solo with them and had a really great time! :)

welcome.... Like the others said 7mil minimum....

And pass onthe boat diving until you get a couple round off at the bunny slopes (Breakwater/Macabee) :)

Welcome to waterworld. All I can say is, get a 6.5 or 7mm and get use to it. It's not that bad. A good idea is either a dry suit or at least a farmerjohn.

Lake Mead Tony:
Welcome to waterworld. All I can say is, get a 6.5 or 7mm and get use to it. It's not that bad. A good idea is either a dry suit or at least a farmerjohn.
When I wore a wetsuit, it was three 7mm layers: hooded vest,
Farmer John, beavertail jacket, in that order. After I bought a dry suit, I would never
go back.

Nobody answered whether the diving is good in January. Ans: YES, it can be very good,
IF you can dive. We get big surf in the winter two weekends out of three, so watch
the forecasts: http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/swell/wamglance.html and pick your days.

The advice to try the bunny slopes first was good.

I forgot about that question. Winter and Fall is the best diving season here in Monterey. I call it the Locals Summer. Very few tourists and the classes have settled down.

Cypress Sea is a very good boat. I had a blast on it when I dove off of it.

I work on the Silver Prince almost every weekend. It is from MBDC (Monterey Bay Dive Center). If you decide to do a boat dive come out and see me. I would love to get a dive in. I work on the boat on weekends, but it is all volunteer time. So they let me get a dive or two in some weekends.

Definitely a 7mm, probably with hooded vest for NorCal diving. From what my friends tell me, Monterey offers fantastic diving (never been myself). However, you can always try the "warmer" waters of SoCal... especially out here on Catalina Island where we dive year-round in 3mm shorties (worn over our 7mm full suits with 5mm hooded vests underneath... just kidding).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom