Dividing up California into three zones?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

renpirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
California is a very large state with a huge coastline. In following the threads on this board it seems that there is several distictions in where people dive. Southern California is without doubt far seperated from the North, but it seems that there is also a division between what is called in other circles Central California and what might truly be called Northern California.

There is no doubt that Monterey is the premier dive location of Central California. It is for this reason that discussions often center on this location in the NorCal forum. However, it is often too far a drive for those of us North of the Bay Area, however much we enjoy diving in Monterey. Instead, we are often attracted to the wonderful diving provided by Mendocino County.

So my question is this. Should the NorCal forum be divided into NorCal and CentCal, thus reflecting the geographic divisions of our state?

No, too many forums and not enough active divers in the Northern part of the state.

I actually think the socal and norcal forums should be one forum, so we have a better idea what is going on down there and they have a better idea of what is going on up here. I never read the So Cal forum but would if they were all mixed together. On other forums I participate in there is just a California forum, so it becomes one big community, instead of being fragmented. A lot of norcal divers go south and an lot of socal divers go north.

Lets be one big happy family.

Mark

I'm with Mark on this one. I'd be more likely to go south if I knew more of those people. I've done some SoCal diving, but I'd probably be down there a lot more frequently if the threads were merged and the names were more familiar.

I know I'm new, but this forum is pretty slow as it is - splitting it up further will only make it moreso. If you want to post about northern california diving, I'm all ears. :)
It's a little farther for me on a normal dive day, but I've been thinking that next summer I'll be taking a north coast camping/diving trip.

You all make good points. I do agree with Mark about the big happy family thing. This board is great for meeting people and I definitely think there is a sense of community.

So maybe joining them back together would be better, since we already have other boards devoted to our particular region. North Coast Divers for the North, BA_Diving for the central and Diver.net for the South.

However, leaving it the same is also fine. It was just a thought I figured I would put out there.

Btw, nice to hear from you again Mark.

I agree with Mark too, that they probably should be combined and then we would get to see what our SoCal brothers and sisters were up too, as they would us.

If you do split it up you're welcome to take LA ... but Ventura County and the Channel Islands stay :D

Geez, don't let Arnold get wind of this!

I don't limit myself to one geographic forum. I use the "view new posts" button to go through ever active thread regardless of what forum it is in. In my case it doesn't matter whether we keep things the way they are, or even divide the state up by county... I'll see ANY new activity, anywhere. I like it that way.

drbill:
Geez, don't let Arnold get wind of this!

I don't limit myself to one geographic forum. I use the "view new posts" button to go through ever active thread regardless of what forum it is in. In my case it doesn't matter whether we keep things the way they are, or even divide the state up by county... I'll see ANY new activity, anywhere. I like it that way.

Where is the view new post button? That sounds like a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom