Dive info for Lisbon Portugal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeydiver

Reaction score
Iam Looking to find out some info on diving in Portugal in particular areund Lisbon I just found out that my wife and i go over Portugal next in July that i am allowed two days of diving ,
so iam trying to find out what of my equiptment i should bring besides my camera but also what there is to see in that area as well as some possible suggestions on where i could go or whom i should go to since this i believe will a dive of a life time for me.
A little about my self i have logged approx imatly 1850 dives in a wetsuit but all in the Pacfic north west were the average temperature is approx 6-8 C Iam a NAUI certified Rescue diverand have been very actively diving since 1986, My Favorite while diving would have to be Photographing varios Marine life such as wolf eels , Pacific red Octupus, Local seal populations as well as close up photography of crustations.

Hi Mikeydiver,

You may try Sesimbra, a small town near Lisbon. There are some dive shops there (you may find a detailed list at www.scubaportugal.com) where you may arrange some boat dives and rent the gear locally in case you do not bring your own. Water temperature may range between 14 and 18 celsius.

Take care.

My husband and I were recently in Lisbon. We drove the three hours trip south to the Algarve. We stayed in Sagres and dove.

For me (big sissy girl) it was very cold, the dive captain said it was an exceptionally cold year. For a Canadian, this will probably not be such an issue.

For me (again, big girl) I was not crazy about diving from a RIB, I am a spoiled resort type diver, so I like a boat and a ladder. Down there it was take only what you are wearing on the RIB and expect no help from the captain.

The water vis was okay (again, take this from the perspective that I am comparing to the Caribbean) and there were fish. Not much in the way of plant life, lots of fans. The most exciting part was an eel caught in a lobster trap.

Having said all that, we loved Portugal. The people are wonderful and there is so much to see and visit.

Have fun!

Here's a post from this morning's Diving Medicine forum----> http://www.scubaboard.com/t16909/s.html

Pinheiro (pinetree in Portugese) just might be a good source on this inquiry. Click on the blue bar labeled "MSG" directly under his post to e-mail him.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

You may also try Portinho da Arrabida, a beautiful place, near Sesimbra.

You can get information about the Diver Center "Centro de Mergulho do Portinho da Arrabida" in www.scubaportugal.com/Continental.html

Have fun,

Conceição

Hey there
I was just wondering two things
1) how will that oil spill from spain affect not only you but also the diving there.
2) How would my dive gear from Canada fit you european Gear or is there a difference.:diver:

Hi again!

The authorities says that the oil spill from Spain will, probably, affect the North Coast from Portugal (and it will take some time to get there). Lisbon, Sesimbra, Portinho da Arrabida and Algarve are southest, so maybe these regions are not going to be affected. But you never know.

I can´t help you with information about the gear from Canada because I´m only an OWD with little experience in diving.

But you may ask some dive centers in this region through email. You can find the emails in the web site I indicated to you.

Hope I helped you.

Hi Mikeydiver,

I don't see any reason for having problems with your gear in Portugal. What's exactly your concern? If you are thinking about your first stage, in general tanks in Portugal are suitable for yoke and DIN. In case of trouble you may always use an adaptor.

Take care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom