Aircell rinsing / drying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nicodaemos

Reaction score
Okay, perhaps this is a stupid question but here goes nothing. I was taught to take care of a bcd or wing after a dive by spashing some fresh water inside of it and then draining the water. Next I was told to hang up the device to dry, both inside and out.

Now my question is, if the bcd/wing bladder is supposed to be airtight/watertight, how is the inside of the bladder going to dry? What am I missing? :confused:

that it ever does dry completely. As you mention, the airtight nature of the bladder will prevent this. I would also be curious to know if anyone has any methods to ensure a dry interior of the bladder. For instance, during extended storage (winter) is mold a concern in this moist environment?

The purpose of rinsing the inside of the bladder is to remove any harmful salt crystals or bacteria from inside the bladder.

I rinse the inside of the bladder several times with fresh warm water through the inflator/deflator valve.I then inflate the wing several times and drain as much water as possible through the bottom dump and inflator/deflator valve.

I dont think you can get evey lost drop put.Also store your wing with some air in it so the bladder doesnt stick together.I usually inflate it fully again about an hour after i wash it when the water has drained to the bottom of the lower dump valve in attempt to blow out some of the remaining water.

After washing and rinsing, I partially inflate my wing and hang it upside down by clipping a trouser hanger to the cloth section. Over the course of the next 2 - 3 days, all the water will drain down and I just dump it out through the inflator valve. When there's no more water to drain, I reattach it to my backpack, partially inflate and store normally on the BC hanger.

I rinse mine out with Listerine then drain out the remaining. Partially inflate and hang upside down as mentioned above.

Iguana Don once bubbled...
I rinse mine out with Listerene then drain out the remaining. Partially inflate and hang upside down as mentioned above.

As long as the listerine doesn't hurt the wing, I really like this idea! A buddy mentioned that no matter how much he rinsed his bc after use, over the years it would develop some mold or fungi inside. He knew this because it created a very nasty stench. Yikes!

The only listerine that will not harm the bladder is the winter mint kind. The original will eat holes through the bladder! :)

I was actually joking. I just never heard of anyone putting mouth wash in a BC. Not saying I dont think it would work.

It's a cleaner and conditioner for BCs. Can be used on both the inside and outside. I only use it for the inside and for spot-cleaning the outside. It says it conditions "shell, interior lining, hose and valves" and removes "salt crystals, chlorine, and organic residue."

Seems to have worked good for me so far...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom