Mask strap placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivetheRock

Contributor
Reaction score
Clarenville, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
# of dives
0 - 24
I currently wear my mask strap outside my hood, but have seen some divers wear it inside. Is there any advantages or dangers to doing either.
I feel it may be a good thing to have a mask strap inside the hood in the event that it were to come flying off (e.g. in surge upon beach exit, or for any other reason) you may be able to obtain it quicker. However, this may also pose a danger if, for some reason, it were better that the mask come off than be stuck inside your hood (possibly pulling the hood up and partially covering the face, hence knocking out the reg). Of course, I'm postulating some dramatic events here, but it is deserving of some thought.
Any opinions? Where do you guys prefer to wear the strap?...Any reason for this decision? Besides running out of air or having a reg malfunction at depth, I can't imagine a more unpleasasnt position to be in than having the mask ripped away from your face (and for me, the cold water on my face would only fuel my panic).

I've tried/use both methods and each has its advantages.

Mask strap under the hood makes it more difficult (almost impossible) to lose your mask but if it's knocked loose it can create a bit of difficulty replacing it because you really can't access the strap without moving the hood. If the hood fits well there should be little or no "flow through" of water caused by the strap being under the hood. This method is easiest, for me, to prevent a leak caused by the mask skirt overlapping the hood:

1) don hood
2) peel back hood
3) don mask
4) pull hood forward

Mask strap over the hood obviously increases possibility of losing the mask but if it's knocked loose it can more easily be replaced. However, it also requires more care in donning the mask to make certain the mask skirt is completely sealed against your face and not "riding the hood".

I would suggest that if you use under the hood your backup mask be setup so the strap fits over the hood so you don't need to expose your full head to cold water in event of "lost" mask.

I had my mask strap under the hood on my hooded vest, but every time I turned my head too much, it flooded. I went to putting it on over the hood. If you're doing a supergiant stride entry (on me, it's about 10 feet from the mask to the water before I take the big step off the cattle boat), you have to be sure to hold it, just in case you wash the strap up and over, but I hold my mask on such entries as a matter of course.

I now have a drysuit and a different hood, obviously, as a vest wouldn't be very compatible with the whole "dry" concept, but I've still be putting the mask strap outside the hood. I just find it more comfortable that way (and it's easier, other than the skirtage).

I've tried both, but hated it under the hood. Under the hood, I never get a good seal and it's impossible to adjust without pulling down the hood. I'll never put it under the hood again.

Thanks, guys, for the opinions. Thanks, Green Manelishi...got your PM.
I think I'll just stick with the outside strap placement for now, based on what you guys have said. I don't want any bad seals or cold water in my hood.
Perhaps I'll try it inside the hood on a dive where I'm practicing my skills.
Thanks, again.

I'll give a vote for inside the hood. No problem sealing, and no need to readjust the mask for hood/no hood. Getting it kicked off is not THAT rare around here, and you have a better chance of keeping it if you do

DivetheRock:
I can't imagine a more unpleasasnt position to be in than having the mask ripped away from your face (and for me, the cold water on my face would only fuel my panic).

This is a skill that you should be completely comfortable with as a diver. Doffing and donning your mask while at depth should not present any sense of panic. And if it does induce a sense of panic, then you need to practice this skill under controled conditions until you are proficient with it.

I agree...I'd be spending a good amount of time practicing having that cold water on my face and being comfortable. This is a very important piece of the diving puzzle and one that shouldn't be put off until you HAVE to cope with it!

I prefer my mask under my hood. I don't have a sealing problem and it's more comfortable for me that way. Try it each way until you find the way that suits you the best in your diving conditions.

SrScubalot:
This is a skill that you should be completely comfortable with as a diver. Doffing and donning your mask while at depth should not present any sense of panic. And if it does induce a sense of panic, then you need to practice this skill under controled conditions until you are proficient with it.

Agreed.
I'd say that loosing my mask at depth, any depth, would be comparable to one loosing a windshield while driving on a highway at 100 kms/hr. I agree, there's definitely a requirement to feel comfortable with donning/doffing the mask at any depth. But, as I said, that cold, cold water on my bare face has always given me the feeling like my breath is being taken away, despite the ability to breathe via a reg.
As a side question, what would/could one do if a mask were completely lost at, say, 100 fsw? How would one read an SPG/dive comp if necessary...and I'm certain that it would be necessary. I've heard of the "bubble trick" (for lack of the proper expression), but does it really work...could you apply this and maintain composure to achieve the necessary moves?

Back
Top Bottom