On-line classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KazInAz

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We talked about this in another thread but frankly some of them have too many posts and I didnt want to go hunting for it.
It concerns SSI's decision concerning e-commerce.
http://www.divenewswire.com/NewsITems.aspx?newsID=8392

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing...just posting a followup in case anyone cared about the current state of affairs at SSI (Scuba Schools International...not Scuba Sciences Inc.) :)

There are a few threads in the I2I forum that most here can't access. :frown: They discuss PADI's position on online training. I've also talked to someone at PADI about this. PADI is currently developing an OW online course that should be up and running by the end of 2007. There are also plans to develop a few more online courses. There's some controversy on it.

Personally, based on my experience in earning my Master's degree through an online program and developing and teaching online courses, I think it's a great idea. But, I don't think it's for everyone. Everyone learns differently. Not everyone is built to learn online. So there will always be other options. I, and many others, think SSI will eventually come around. They'll have to if they want to remain competitive. The world is becoming online. It only makes sense that SCUBA will as well. Besides, even with online SCUBA courses, there still has to be in person interaction in the water. That's where I do most of my teaching anyway. My classroom sessions are minimal. My in water and surface intervals are packed with teaching.

As a former online learning student (most of the library science program at UA is offered on the Internet), I would agree with Rob's analysis. Learning online effectively takes a lot of initiative, self-motivation, and independence. However, one can argue that you can do bookwork for a diving course beforehand on your own, and then gather to talk about it, so why not move this portion of the course to the Internet? If the course were structured such that you complete the knowledge portion of the course through tutorials on the internet, tests, and watching streaming video, then it wouldn't be such a bad idea. That way if people wanted to save the content, they could either print the lectures or save them to disk for future reference.

A lot of academic online mediums allow the professor to see what students have accessed, and the professors can see a student's grade on a test. It's actually quite cool. Plus if you're in a "class" with other people, you can still interact with them as you read the weekly lecture and ask questions in a forum.

We use d2l at UA. If anyone's interested in seeing how a distance learning course works, PM me and I can perhaps let you have a look at one of my courses.

I know the future of education is on line , I don't think it fits well with scuba,for many reasons , PADI s program will be out at the end of April or so, at this time if any real divers feel that this will improve the Scuba Industry , I think there will be a rude awaking , many programs out side of Scuba are finding this out but as usual the dive industry has little feeling for its own future.....:no

I've had this thought in the back of my head while listening to all this "online learning" discussion. I've voiced my opinion in the past about what I think about online learning.

I know it is a popular choice for many adults in other circles. I have done it in the past and currently doing a class online now. It is very convenient. I, like many, know that this is a way of the future (not convinced it is the way).

I guess my nagging thought is ... Do you really think people will want to take scuba lessons online? It is supposed to be fun. It is a social environment. And, in many cases, they want to be taught by an instructor. Do you think, at least in the short term (next 3 years), online will be a popular choice, or do you think it will be a choice of convenience for people who have akward work/family schedules or are technogeeks?

Paul, you've been around this industry longer than most. I'd enjoy hearing your perspective.

Just thinking out loud.

jcf

I took this course online through SSI. I have retained most of the information. I am going to buy the book though so I can keep referring back to it. I think I learned as much through the online class as I would have in the classroom.

I think its a great option to have....if someone wants to do it that way they can. They dont have to, the store will still be the number one place, but for those that want to do it online they can......

I would strongly prefer to fill out knowledge reviews and take exams online. The one thing that I would miss would be the nuanced presentation of the instructor (and their particular insight).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom