Old shipwrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivetheRock

Contributor
Reaction score
Clarenville, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone know of any fairly (i.e. beach/shore dive) accessible wrecks in NL? I recently dived the Speedwell, a very interesting dive. This ship was British, and was lost in the ice off Trinity in 1781...quite an old ship with lots of history. Still some artifacts to be found there - cannons, cannon balls, anchor, wooden parts of the ship itself, etc. (You can see pics of my dive there on my website.)
I'm interested in these types of wrecks, and would like to dive some next summer. Brandon, there must be a few nice ones over your way. Fairly accesssible, as I said, and not at an abysmal depth. Here's a link to a neat story my brother told me of today. I'd like to dive this one, too.
http://www.mushrowastrolabe.com/index.html

Hey DTR, what was the depth like on the Speedwall? Entry conditions? Water temps? Doesn't look like there's much left of the ship though.

The keel of the ship is still there...in pieces, that is. But it's not your typical wreck. I guess you could say it's a great novice wreck (which I am). The cannons are still there, etc. I plan on going back soon - I feel there was much more to see, I just need more bottom time to explore.
Entry was easy. It's not far from shore (130-165 ft from shore); sheltered cove area; water temp was 7.5 C; visibility was 25 + ft; depth was 38 ft, but depends on whether it's low or high tide. Apparently there's many more artifacts there yet to be discovered (based on divers still picking up the odd item here and there).
Did you see the pics on my website? There's a lot more to see than that, but you know how it is...you can't capture it all on pics.
BTW, here's a link to the Speedwell info.
http://www.tcr.gov.nl.ca/tcr/pao/Arch%20in%20NL/Arch%20in%20NL%201980/NMAS/NMAS%201980.htm

JT, in keeping with the purpose of this thread, have a look at what I'm interested in doing in the near future. I was diving close to the wrecks and cannons at the Tide's Point/Mortier area not long ago. I didn't know exactly where the specific sites were, and was only going by local rumour until finding this archaeological site.
My brother was told about the cannons before by a fisherman, but you just can't go by second hand info.
http://www.tcr.gov.nl.ca/tcr/pao/Arch%20in%20NL/Arch%20in%20NL%201982/NMAS/NMAS.htm

Iv only dove one wreck on the west coast so far, its in frenchman's Cove about 20 mins from Corner brook. its a shore dive to about 90 feet of water theres a wooden fishing boat i believe. Boat still has some shape left to it and some big lopster's living inside :). im pretty sure there is another boat within the area but i have not yet found it, hopefully i will when i get back in a few weeks ill be doing alot of diving. If anyone's in the area and would like to dive it let me know ill be happy to go out for a dive.

This looks pretty interesting... I'll be visiting family on Bell Island this Christmas, if anyone wants to put a dive trip together over Christmas time, I'm all for it. I'd be game for diving some of these old wrecks.

Reel Crazy14:
This looks pretty interesting... I'll be visiting family on Bell Island this Christmas, if anyone wants to put a dive trip together over Christmas time, I'm all for it. I'd be game for diving some of these old wrecks.

If it were any other time, I'd be there. However, with the madness of Christmas, I doubt if I could find the time to drive out there for a couple dives. I do plan on diving those wrecks next summer, though.
You should go to Ocean Quest's forum and post your invite there. I'm not certain if this is a happenin' board (it never was), but if someone actually does read it, I'm sure you'll find yourself a buddy out there. Here's the link: http://forums.oceanquestcharters.com/
Good luck (if you already haven't, check out my website, too :wink: ).
P.S. I just noticed that they have a new forum, so there may eventually be more participants.

Yeh I was planning on doing some shore diving with Ocean Quest. I'd like to dive some new spots while I'm there. Nice website too, there's not too many NL dive websites out there, yours is coming along pretty nice!

Were you talking to anyone at OQ yet? I dive with Sue. She was/is also my instructor, but it's always like a buddy dive diving with her.
I guess you could go to Tapper's Cove, St.Philip's, Bauline, Portugal Cove, just to name several, for your shore dives.
I'm planning on getting in there to do a night dive with Sue real soon. I've heard that Tapper's Cove and Bauline are very nice at night.
BTW, where are you from? Bell Island?

There are wrecks at Bacon Cove.. The whalers.. in max 20ft of water three are three of them all pretty well side by side. One still has the harpoon gun on it's bow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom